Should I be pissed?

rallysman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to get some honest opinions about my irritation with a local camera shop (local being 30 miles away). I've always spent the extra money (vs online prices) to support this local shop, which included 2 DSLR bodies and several lenses. I know I'm not the top customer or even a special one, but I think I got kicked in the balls when I went to trade a couple of lenses for store credit.
This particular store has a giant selection of used equipment, and honestly they sell it for a higher price than what can be found used online. Still, I buy from them to support the local guy.

Long story short, I'd like to know what I should realistically expect for store credit value from the following 2 lenses:
28-105/2.8 Tamron (sells used on B&H for $450)
200-400 promaster (which is a re-badged Tamron- not very desirable I understand)

Both lenses are in 9+ condition.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If the local guy is anything like the chain near me that does trade in, they will offer half of what they expect to sell it for. So I am guessing you got offered about $200 for the lens. I use craigslist and kijiji for used gear.

I checked with my local yesterday for trading in my 85mm f/1.8 on the new 85mm f/.4 AFS. They offered $260. I'll pass and individually sell for a more reasonable $$$.

It's just business. Don't take it personally.

If the local guy is anything like the chain near me that does trade in, they will offer half of what they expect to sell it for. So I am guessing you got offered about $200 for the lens. I use craigslist and kijiji for used gear.

I would expect that if I was just selling the lens to them, but for store credit I think it should be higher. They're going to make money off of what I buy as well as what they sell the lens for. I told them I'll keep the lenses and start buying things online. I used to feel strongly about supporting the local shop, but if they refuse to support me, then screw 'em.

I would expect that if I was just selling the lens to them, but for store credit I think it should be higher. They're going to make money off of what I buy as well as what they sell the lens for. I told them I'll keep the lenses and start buying things online. I used to feel strongly about supporting the local shop, but if they refuse to support me, then screw 'em.

They don't care about you, or if you save money. If they have given you that impression in the past, it's only because they wanted your money. Now that it is time for them to help you out, they won't do a thing. Sounds perfectly normal to me, and why the only companies that get my money for camera gear are Amazon and B&H.

Save your $$. Purchase online and sell your gear here and on craigslist.

ain't no such thing as a "nice and friendly" local store

They're only "nice and friendly" when taking your money.

Thanks folks. I guess I was really snowed.
I thought for once I found an honest group. LOL

It's business.
I buy consumer gold for less than half what I sell it for. :sexywink:

Businesses aren't there to "help you out". :lmao:

I completely understand your frustration. My local camera shop has very similar business practices. I, too, like to support local business, but with so many available online retailers, it's getting hard to do. I set a rule for myself. If I am going to save more than 20% of the total cost (and that's total cost after shipping for online purchases, and after taxes for local purchases) then I will buy online.

I think your point that they will be making money off both the new purchase and the used items is a valid one. If they still won't work with you at least a little, I'd have done the same thing you did. As consumers, we have to be a bit more frugal these days with the economic woes affecting us all.

It's business.

Understood, but if they want to retain my business they won't bend me over and shove the business end of their giant dick up my ass.

Live and learn I suppose.

It's business.

^^^^^-----------:thumbup:

Its business. They have overhead. They have to pay employees, taxes, benefits, rent, insurance etc etc. They are not going to pay you top dollar. They need to make a big profit because in reality, most used items end up sitting around and do not move very quickly unless they are a highly regarded piece of equipment. They risk even sitting on them so long that they become obsolete. This is all factored into what they pay based on the risk they take. Many places have deals with companies as authorized dealers. If they do not sell something brand new, often times they can ship it back to the manufacturer for credit so its not as big of a risk. I was heavy into music recording and performing prior to photography. It was the same way. You would get offered $100 for an amp you paid close to $500 for or $250 for an $800 guitar. Thats the reality of it. I wouldn't hold it against this place, NO respectable business is going to give you much. Use craigslist if you want to maximize what you get because you are eliminating all of the overhead and the middleman. Of course with this, you always have to price with the expectation of haggling.

This is how things have ALWAYS been, but factor in a completely fu**ed economy and what do you expect?

It's business.

Understood, but if they want to retain my business they won't bend me over and shove the business end of their giant dick up my ass.

Wasn't that a little uncalled for?
Do you have a business Rallysman?
Poor consumers. Always getting screwed. :roll:

It's business.

A little too far man.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back