What's new

Should I buy a Canon 85mm F1.2

Jase C

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
uk
Normally take landscape/wildlife shots with my 5d ii. Getting more into low light for my sons band. Should I ebay my 24/105L and move up to the 85mm? Will this be ok for landscapes. Got a 100-400 and a 50 1.8 ii in my bag too? cheers Jase.
 
This is almost (or is) a specialty lens. The DOF can be so razor thin that it's almost impractical to use it at F1.2. I've heard that it doesn't focus very fast either.

I've seen a lot of really great looking images from this lens...but it's certainly not something that everyone is going to like or use a lot. And it's also a boat load of money.

I'd suggest the 85mm F1.8. It's almost as fast and is 1/4 or 1/5 the price. And with your 5DII, you can use a rather high ISO to make up for the loss of exposure.
 
I have not used the 85 1.2. However I have used the 24-105 and it is my work horse. That lens is on my camera 95% of the time. The only time it has been off in the last 2 months was to shoot a concert. I would not sell that lens and replace it with the 85 1.2 or any prime for that mater.
 
No, you shouldn't. It focuses very slowly. ...Go with the 85mm 1.8 it is by FAR the best midgrade lens Canon makes. It's L quality in a lot of ways.
 
Thanks for all your advise. Cheers Jase.
 
Normally take landscape/wildlife shots with my 5d ii. Getting more into low light for my sons band. Should I ebay my 24/105L and move up to the 85mm? Will this be ok for landscapes. Got a 100-400 and a 50 1.8 ii in my bag too? cheers Jase.

None of the lens suggested is for landscapes. They're good for low light but not landscapes. A landscape lens needs some zoom because a constant 85mm won't cut it...
 
get the sigma.. not that there is anything wrong with the canon one.
 
Normally take landscape/wildlife shots with my 5d ii. Getting more into low light for my sons band. Should I ebay my 24/105L and move up to the 85mm? Will this be ok for landscapes. Got a 100-400 and a 50 1.8 ii in my bag too? cheers Jase.

None of the lens suggested is for landscapes. They're good for low light but not landscapes. A landscape lens needs some zoom because a constant 85mm won't cut it...

Did you read the second sentence in his post?
 
Normally take landscape/wildlife shots with my 5d ii. Getting more into low light for my sons band. Should I ebay my 24/105L and move up to the 85mm? Will this be ok for landscapes. Got a 100-400 and a 50 1.8 ii in my bag too? cheers Jase.

None of the lens suggested is for landscapes. They're good for low light but not landscapes. A landscape lens needs some zoom because a constant 85mm won't cut it...

Did you read the second sentence in his post?

Did you read the fourth sentence? ;)
 
No I didn't, I haven't learned to read yet. But re-reading after sobering up some, it seems that the OP just doesn't know what they're really looking for in a lens.
 
A single 85 prime may be too long for concert photography as well. Zooms are generally preferred if you can get an f/2.8 constant aperture lens.
 
The OP clearly asks if "This lens is good for landscapes". The simple answer is no. A non-zoom lens is not good for landscapes...
 
Kai has some lovely insights.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom