What's new

Should I buy a Canon 85mm F1.2

A non-zoom lens is not good for landscapes...

I agree that 85mmL doesn't bring much to the table (except cost) in regards to landscapes, but I am interested into why you think non-zoom lenses (or primes or single focal lengths) are not good for landscapes. Why?

Keep in mind that some of the most well known landscape photographers in time shot with single focal lengths often on large and medium format. Lets also not forget that tilt shift lenses (not as common today as it was a while back) are primarily single focal lengths.


My opinion. I want a compact lens (on a compact body) as I will most likely be hiking long distances. I want the optics that exhibits a strong resistance to CA (tree line), sun flare, and relatively low contrast. One lens shall be relatively wide focal length with good control over distortion. Another lens of normal 50mm focal length of high resolving. I'm ok with a max aperture of f/2.8 (slow by my standards) or a stop or two less. I require a very stable but light weight tripod and cable release. (Just for fun, I'd probably throw in a ultra wide angle lens... 12ish mm perhaps).

of course, there isn't a formula for any photographic intention... if there were such strict rules everyone would bring home the same exact photos.
 
Last edited:
A non-zoom lens is not good for landscapes...

I agree that 85mmL doesn't bring much to the table (except cost) in regards to landscapes, but I am interested into why you think non-zoom lenses (or primes or single focal lengths) are not good for landscapes. Why?

Keep in mind that some of the most well known landscape photographers in time shot with single focal lengths often on large and medium format. Lets also not forget that tilt shift lenses (not as common today as it was a while back) are primarily single focal lengths.


My opinion. I want a compact lens (on a compact body) as I will most likely be hiking long distances. I want the optics that exhibits a strong resistance to CA (tree line), sun flare, and relatively low contrast. One lens shall be relatively wide focal length with good control over distortion. Another lens of normal 50mm focal length of high resolving. I'm ok with a max aperture of f/2.8 (slow by my standards) or a stop or two less. I require a very stable but light weight tripod and cable release. (Just for fun, I'd probably throw in a ultra wide angle lens... 12ish mm perhaps).

of course, there isn't a formula for any photographic intention... if there were such strict rules everyone would bring home the same exact photos.


A prime lens is not good for landscapes for the simple reason that not all shots will require the same reach of just one non-zoom lens. I'm not saying the the lens isn't good for some shots of landscapes but for different landscapes you need a different reach. The 85mm especially isn't good for landscapes because most landscape shots needs a wide angle lens. Prime lenses is great yes but not one of them is good for landscapes unless every landscape shot uses the same focal length which we all know just doesn't work.

Sure if you had a bunch of prime lenses you'd probably be fine but i'm talking about one prime lens...
 
A prime lens is not good for landscapes for the simple reason that not all shots will require the same reach of just one non-zoom lens.

The 85mm especially isn't good for landscapes because most landscape shots needs a wide angle lens.

Prime lenses is great yes but not one of them is good for landscapes unless every landscape shot uses the same focal length which we all know just doesn't work.

Ok... There is so much wrong in that response. but.. I'll agree to disagree.
 
A prime lens is not good for landscapes for the simple reason that not all shots will require the same reach of just one non-zoom lens. I'm not saying the the lens isn't good for some shots of landscapes but for different landscapes you need a different reach. The 85mm especially isn't good for landscapes because most landscape shots needs a wide angle lens. Prime lenses is great yes but not one of them is good for landscapes unless every landscape shot uses the same focal length which we all know just doesn't work.

Sure if you had a bunch of prime lenses you'd probably be fine but i'm talking about one prime lens...

:scratch:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom