Should I buy an older pen tablet for post-processing?

Trenman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am purchasing a pen tablet for my photoshop post processing and I would like to reach out and ask for help making a judgment call. I am newer to photoshop but use it daily. I am a novice with a moderate PS skill set who is looking to more easily post-process. My question is, the Intuos5 is very well reviewed, but two years old. I found one online new for $140. Is buying an older tablet and pen a fools choice, or will this do as I start down this path for the first time? I just can't justify spending two-three times as much for a new product when an old one has most of the features that I could need. On the other hand, I imagine the company may have discontinued software support....

Opinions from the more informed would be very much appreciated. I thank you in advance for your attention and time.

Regards.

Wacom are pretty good at being standard all rounders I believe ... If you just want the simple ability to use the pen as a mouse so you have more control - that "should" work!

And yes, an older pen tablet is better than no pen tablet.
A Wacom Intuos 4 Medium pen tablet would work well too.

Is the one you found a small or medium Intuos 5? Either way, once you get used to it, you may never or rarely go back to a mouse.
The batteries went dead in my mouse just last night, and this time I did not care; I think I am done with it.

Tracing using the pen tool in PS is much more controllable now.

Yeah I figured $129 for an Intuos5 Small (not medium like I said) wasn't too bad. It was rated 5 stars 18 mos ago and it cant be too obsolete, can it? Either way its $130 and not $400, so at very least I will know what a good tablet feels and operates like for future reference.

Thank you for those who took the time to help a fella out!

Any reasonable tablet is better than a mouse. Be surprised if you regret it, truly. Use it for everything, not just 'graphics'.

The only bummer is when you are trying to drag a selection box/area, and you run out of footprint on the tablet - that's the benefit of bigger tablets. Don't opt for the really budget, teeny ones; Wacoms' are fine.

I have a Wacom Intuos 4 Medium. The best $300 I ever spent...ok next to my iPad and watch..and...ok it was money well spent.

Most reactions

Back