What's new

Should I get one or two flashes...

PhotosbyMeg

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm starting to get into more in depth photography including portraiture and small weddings. What is the best flash setup? If I only had one flash what should I get? If I decided to get two flashes off the bat (one on the camera and one off the camera) what combo should I get?

(I have a Nikon....I was thinking of getting the sb900 and then wondered if an sb600 and a smaller flash...)
 
If you are going to be shooting weddings...get (at least) two flashes. As a wedding photographer, you have to be prepared to get the job done in the event that some of your gear breaks down. So you'll need a back-up flash, back-up cameras, back up lenses etc.

The combination of an SB900 & SB600 would be great, but also expensive. You could use the wireless CLS system for controlling your off-camera flash, but there are limitations with that...which is why many people use radio flash triggers instead. But with radio flash triggers, you won't be able to use the TTL functionality of the flashes, so you could save money by going with cheaper flash units. But it's also nice to have those nice flash units handy because they work so well when used on-camera.

Shooting with one flash, two flashes, three flashes etc....TTL or manual...that's up to you and your style. Some photographers set up many flashes very meticulously and take great care with their lighting. Others prefer to work quick & light, not wanting to set up multiple lights for each shot.
 
If you are going to be shooting weddings...get (at least) two flashes. As a wedding photographer, you have to be prepared to get the job done in the event that some of your gear breaks down. So you'll need a back-up flash, back-up cameras, back up lenses etc.

The combination of an SB900 & SB600 would be great, but also expensive. You could use the wireless CLS system for controlling your off-camera flash, but there are limitations with that...which is why many people use radio flash triggers instead. But with radio flash triggers, you won't be able to use the TTL functionality of the flashes, so you could save money by going with cheaper flash units. But it's also nice to have those nice flash units handy because they work so well when used on-camera.

Shooting with one flash, two flashes, three flashes etc....TTL or manual...that's up to you and your style. Some photographers set up many flashes very meticulously and take great care with their lighting. Others prefer to work quick & light, not wanting to set up multiple lights for each shot.

Mike,

Could you show what your flash set up is when shooting weddings? ie: assistant holding light on stand, or OCF in various spots of the room to illuminate the room?
 
I would get one nice nikon flash and 2 Chinese flashes
 
If you are going to be shooting weddings...get (at least) two flashes. As a wedding photographer, you have to be prepared to get the job done in the event that some of your gear breaks down. So you'll need a back-up flash, back-up cameras, back up lenses etc.

The combination of an SB900 & SB600 would be great, but also expensive. You could use the wireless CLS system for controlling your off-camera flash, but there are limitations with that...which is why many people use radio flash triggers instead. But with radio flash triggers, you won't be able to use the TTL functionality of the flashes, so you could save money by going with cheaper flash units. But it's also nice to have those nice flash units handy because they work so well when used on-camera.

Shooting with one flash, two flashes, three flashes etc....TTL or manual...that's up to you and your style. Some photographers set up many flashes very meticulously and take great care with their lighting. Others prefer to work quick & light, not wanting to set up multiple lights for each shot.

Mike,

Could you show what your flash set up is when shooting weddings? ie: assistant holding light on stand, or OCF in various spots of the room to illuminate the room?

It changes, based on what & where I'm shooting...and several other factors. Each wedding is a little different and being able to adapt is a key to being successful.

I usually have a Canon flash on one of my cameras...well, on a flash bracket with a TTL cable, so it works like it's on-camera. I have a few accessories that I may use on the flash, depending on the situation.
I'll use this set up for most of the pre-wedding shots and probably during the ceremony as well.
In some situations, I may set up an off-camera light in the church, but it depends on the situation.

For the 'formal' photos, I'll usually be using an off camera light, sometimes two (if there is time).

During the reception, I usually set up an off camera light in a location that can hit most of the venue, but I'll combine that with an on-camera flash. I love locations where I can set the remote flash up high, aimed down onto the dance floor etc.

My off-camera light of choice, is a studio strobe. When outdoors, I have a portable battery pack and indoors I just plug it in. Sometimes though, I'll just put a flash unit on a light stand.
 
I'm starting to get into more in depth photography including portraiture and small weddings. What is the best flash setup? If I only had one flash what should I get? If I decided to get two flashes off the bat (one on the camera and one off the camera) what combo should I get?

(I have a Nikon....I was thinking of getting the sb900 and then wondered if an sb600 and a smaller flash...)

Meg , you did not mention what Camera body you have but I will suggest this , get several speed lights, the SB900 is a great choice , then set the slave units around in rooms at home.Place your camera in "commander" mode ,and set the camera in manual mode at f8 at 125 shutter speed.
Take sum pics , then add or subtract exposure settings on top of the camera, its great fun, and you will quickly learn how you can bounce light , and cast interesting shadows .
Keep your check book handy , its addicting ,:D...you will need some light stands and a deflector set , practice using just one light and see what you can create.Check out the Strobist web site , lots of great info there.

RJ.
 
RJT... I currently have a Nikon d80 but am getting a Nikon d700 in the next month or so.
 
RJT... I currently have a Nikon d80 but am getting a Nikon d700 in the next month or so.

You will love the D700 , it is fabulous in low lite , lots of times with the 700 all you need is soft fill....I like the SB700 , its smaller in size , very easy to set quickly , on the D700 its very nice, this would help you a lot in wedding situations , especially with attachments like Gary Fong. :wink:

RJ
 
Mike's dead on with this. I did weddings for years. Especially doing the pre/post ceremony shots I'd even have a small portable strobe with a fold out diffuser for a fill. When "painting with light" you can never have too much control over your medium.
 
you can also use the the new sb700 as a commander, significantly cheaper than the sb900
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom