should I purchase extra warranty on camera?

arizzonadoc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, BRAND new camera owner, first time ever owning a "real" camera, completely clueless, but can't wait to get started. Bought a Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3i, and my question is should I purchase the extra 3 year warranty for $100.. It has one year manufacturers warranty already, just wanted some opinions, thanks!

Personally, I never buy the extended warranty. If you paid for your purchase with a credit card, in most cases it will give you another years coverage. But it's up to you.

I wouldn't buy it if I were you, chance is that it wont break but if it does just chuck it down the stairs and claim on the home insurance.
* I'm not telling you to do but its the obvious way around it. And make sure you have home insurance first :)

I was in Cabo last week and took a little boat taxi to lovers beach. When we got there a big wave came in and flipped the boat over.. Camera and everything wet. GOOD THING i had my best buy warranty..

With a warranty you won't hesitate to bring your camera !!

BUY IT !!

So there you go. The extended warranty actually got used by one out of 10,000 extended warranty buyers.

Those extended warranties are almost 100% profit to the seller. So the sellers love them and often give salepeople a good cut of the profit (called SPIFF) for selling them.

If the extended warranty is transferrable if you sell the gear, it might be worth what it costs.

thank you all so much for your responses; I still have a few days to decide, I'm leaning towards not getting it, as I know it is true they are all seller profit, but then again, I would probably be the one flipping my boat over and kicking myself later. I'm sure I'll be chatting with you all soon as I'm sure I will have a ton of questions, I plan to drive up to sedona one weekend soon, can't wait to see what the camera will do.

I have not had a camera damage problem yet and I have hung out of open cockpit airplanes, over 500 foot high swinging foot bridges, done rock and cliff climbing with cameras, gone downhill wearing cross country skis carrying cameras and lenses, and stuck cameras in the face of crocodiles, bears and other animals. I always have a great protective dog for some shooting situations too, so I never get harassed or confronted by angry types or potential thieves.

skieur

I was in Cabo last week and took a little boat taxi to lovers beach. When we got there a big wave came in and flipped the boat over.. Camera and everything wet. GOOD THING i had my best buy warranty..

With a warranty you won't hesitate to bring your camera !!

BUY IT !!

Typically speaking Warranties won't cover you against accidental damage (eg getting things wet) and is there only to increase the length of time that manufacture defects will be freely repaired by the company. As such after a year or so something like camera is likely to show any manufacture faults early on, so extension of the period is not that useful - in addition many regions have now got extended warranties (eg in the EU its now 2 years minimum) as well as additional protections against manufacture design and production flaws.

Insurance against theft, damage etc... is another game altogether and far more worth considering instead. However be warned, many say put the camera under your household, but you've got to check the fineprint and consider. Household insurers (heck any insurance company) do not like you claiming on your insurance and if you start to make very small (compared to possible claims needed for household problems) claims for lost/damaged camera gear you might well find your household insurances costs going up -- worse if they end up putting you on an effective blacklist whereby companies won't touch you to insure and if they do the costs are exceptionally high.

There are separate photography gear insurance options as well as associations and groups you can join (which can offer group cover insurance policies).

In Canada, I saved $1,000 on my house insurance per year, via www.insurancehotline.com which compares rates from several insurance companies.

skieur

state farm covers my junk against breakage, bomb attack, theft, me accidentally dropping it out the window at 85 MPH, etc. Much better than an extended warranty for me. about $80 a year I pay for all the stuff in my sig.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back