What's new

Should I purchase the XSI bundle kit or body only?

chasecarter

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Between a nikon and a canon I have chosen to purchase a canon xsi (not a t1i since I don't need a camcorder to go along with it)

Should I get the XSI bundle with the standard 18-55mm SI Lens? or Should I get just the body and buy 'better' lenses with it? Sooner or later I know the 18-55mm will be no use to me once i get deeper into photography (ie. photo shoots)

My purpose for photography for now would be macro pictures as well as portraits and maybe weddings.

I want lenses that will last me for years to come and that will have purposes to actually use and not toss out once they are no more use to me.

As of right now, I researched and found that the 50mm f/1.4 is better than the 1.8. Is that a good lens for macro shots? between the two though are there much difference b/c the price is about a $300 difference.

And also the 17 - 55mm f/2.8 seems like really nice lenses as well. Do they serve the same purpose as the 50mm? Should I buy both? or one or the other would suit me for multi purposes?

Anymore useful information would be great. Budget for lenses reach out as far as $1000 (price of the 17-55mm f/2.8)

oh and would the xsi be a good beginnner camera that would transition to a nice profitable camera?
 
What is the price difference between the bundles? If its more than 100 dollars then I would suggest body only and focus the savings on getting a better walk around lens: the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 (400 bucks at BHPhoto) or the lower cost 28-70 F/2.8 (300 or so). Personally I'd go with the 18-50.

As to the 50MM, the F/1.4 has TWO full stops of light on the F/2.8. The F/1.8 has 1.66 more light capturing ability than the F/2.8. That is a HUGE difference. The 50MM's would be considered "low light" lenses and thus serve very different purposes.
 
Between a nikon and a canon I have chosen to purchase a canon xsi (not a t1i since I don't need a camcorder to go along with it)

Should I get the XSI bundle with the standard 18-55mm SI Lens? or Should I get just the body and buy 'better' lenses with it? Sooner or later I know the 18-55mm will be no use to me once i get deeper into photography (ie. photo shoots)

My purpose for photography for now would be macro pictures as well as portraits and maybe weddings.

I want lenses that will last me for years to come and that will have purposes to actually use and not toss out once they are no more use to me.

As of right now, I researched and found that the 50mm f/1.4 is better than the 1.8. Is that a good lens for macro shots? between the two though are there much difference b/c the price is about a $300 difference.

And also the 17 - 55mm f/2.8 seems like really nice lenses as well. Do they serve the same purpose as the 50mm? Should I buy both? or one or the other would suit me for multi purposes?

Anymore useful information would be great. Budget for lenses reach out as far as $1000 (price of the 17-55mm f/2.8)

oh and would the xsi be a good beginnner camera that would transition to a nice profitable camera?

Do you feel that the $100 you save on a kit is worth the extra you'll be spending?

50mm isn't a good macro lens until you flip it around and mount via a filter mount adapter. The f/1.4 has a metal body and is a much better constructed lens. I believe that the aperture blades may even be curved. Is that worth it to you? Remember, lens quality has diminishing returns as far as price goes. The 50mm f/1.2L is over $1000. Will the quality be 10x's better than that of the f/1.8? Probably not. Is that worth it to you? Maybe not.

The Canon 17-55 f/2.8 is also an image stabilized lens. It's one of the two EF-S lenses that I think are actually worth purchasing. It's a good all around lens and it holds it's value. The 50mm will be sharper, as it's a prime and primes are sharper...less glass to shoot through, etc... Primes also usually have wider apetures than you can get in zoom lenses.
 
Should I get the XSI bundle with the standard 18-55mm SI Lens? or Should I get just the body and buy 'better' lenses with it? Sooner or later I know the 18-55mm will be no use to me once i get deeper into photography (ie. photo shoots)
If you can afford a better lens now, then go for it. I'd certainly suggest something with a max aperture of F2.8. The EF-S 17-55mm IS, is a fantastic lens, but I'd also suggest considering the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 as lower priced alternatives.

As of right now, I researched and found that the 50mm f/1.4 is better than the 1.8. Is that a good lens for macro shots? between the two though are there much difference b/c the price is about a $300 difference.
Neither is really a Macro lens. The F1.4 version is built much better and is something that you could use for a long time. The F1.8 lens is OK but is something that might eventually get replaced when you tire of it's cheap feel.

And also the 17 - 55mm f/2.8 seems like really nice lenses as well. Do they serve the same purpose as the 50mm? Should I buy both? or one or the other would suit me for multi purposes?
The purpose is up to you. One is a zoom and one is a prime. F1.4 is a lot bigger than F2.8...which could be helpful for low light or very shallow DOF.

oh and would the xsi be a good beginnner camera that would transition to a nice profitable camera?
In terms of image quality, it's probably fine. In terms of build, overall performance & functionality...you may find it lacking when compared to higher level cameras.
If it's your intention to get a camera for professional use...I'd suggest that you at least consider a higher camera. 50D, 7D, 5D etc.
Keep in mind that if you decide to shoot weddings, you will need at least two cameras.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom