What's new

Should I sell my D5100?

Tyler S

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 19, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
Hey everybody, about a month and a half ago I bought a D5100 kit for $800 after tax, as it was on sale at Best Buy. While I have been greatly enjoying it, I have realized that I probably should've saved a little more and bought the D7000. It has a few more features obviously, the most important being the built in auto-focus motor. This has made me consider selling my D5100 (it's too late to return it now) on ebay. It's in perfect shape, albeit it has quite a few shutter actuations already. If I sold it I would then save up a while longer and purchase the D7000. The only thing I'd miss having is the articulated screen of the D5100. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Yes, if you want a larger, heavier camera with more features that cost twice as much.
 
Sure, why not?


<< must review images by Tyler S to see how he has mastered a camera so readily after only six weeks in the command seat >>
 
and what would you do in the interum for a camera?
 
Yes definitely! You'll save on lenses because you can buy the older AF-D and AF lenses rather than the more expensive AF-S ones. I have a D3100 and I was considering selling it to buy a D90 so I could save on lenses but I decided to keep the D3100 because I'm into sports and wildlife photography and need faster autofocus.
 
Sell it right away and get the D7000. :thumbup:
 
Thank you all for the replies. I think I'm going to try to sell it in the near future, the question is for how much? It'll have the original box and everything, and the camera + 18-55 itself are in essentially mint condition. The only thing is the 6500 shutter actuations, but I don't see that as a huge problem as it's rated to 100,000. I also have a 35mm f/1.8 I could sell separately or combined as I'd rather pick up the less expensive 50mm if I got the D7000.
 
flatflip said:
I do and I did and I don't regret it.

As did I lol. I actually use it instead of my pro D300's as my main body. It's a sick camera, the D7000.
 
Personally.. I would save up until I had at least $700 cash in my pocket, then I would try to sell the D5100 and try to get $700 for the kit. Then use all of that money for the D7000. This way you are not without a camera for a month or so. (guessing at your budget)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom