What's new

Should I sell my D5100?

Yes definitely! You'll save on lenses because you can buy the older AF-D and AF lenses rather than the more expensive AF-S ones. I have a D3100 and I was considering selling it to buy a D90 so I could save on lenses but I decided to keep the D3100 because I'm into sports and wildlife photography and need faster autofocus.

I would be VERY surprised if the D3100 has faster AF than the D90. Sure, it has more focus points, but it doesn't have the built in motor, and the D90 is a whole class above it. Heck, I just had the choice to buy a D3100, or a D80, and I chose the D80 for it's dual control wheels and built in AF motor. It keeps up just fine. You would not notice the difference between the AF in the 3100 and the 90, and you would gain ALOT of great features. You just don't realize how important dual control wheels and more external controls are until you handle a camera that has them. It really does give you the ability to change settings on the fly ALOT faster, with WAY less menu diving.

That being said, going from the D3100 to the D90, you are going to lose some high iso performance. For the way I shoot (Mostly sports) I would take a D90 of a D3100 ALL day.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP. I'm done now.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom