Should I shoot this wedding?

well on the plus side they like your photography.

But as others have mentioned learning and planning the essence of a good photo shoot throughout the stages of a wedding is what is going to cause issues.

But most 14 yr olds won't listen anyways, so .... go to each event they have leading up to the wedding and practice shooting. And try to capture "moments" instead of just pictures. Go to the wedding practice - it will give you an idea of how shooting in low light is. Sneak in someone else's wedding, and see what the photographers do.

I haven't done one myself, but I'm watching how things are done. And they spend a TON of time before during and after. It seems as though "during" on an inside wedding seems to be the simpliest part of it assuming you have the right equipment for the environment (light settings, distance, etc) !!

Good luck

I'm having a hard time understanding someone 'hiring' an 8th or 9th grader to photograph their wedding (as someone mentioned, you wouldn't be driving yet to get to the job assignment). It depends I think on laws where you live regarding employment at this age whether or not something like this is even a realistic option to consider.

If you're going to the wedding anyway and they want you to take some pictures and they like your pictures and offer to pay something for them, that might be do-able; that would seem more comparable to paying a teenager to babysit or rake leaves etc. (And in my experience it would need to be arranged thru the parents/guardian).

What do your parents say about this? It's up to them - if they're going to the wedding or will take you there and they think it's OK and will handle any taxes etc. (as you'd be considered their dependent) that's what's probably going to be the deciding factor.

If you think you have the skills and necessary equipment to do this type photography and are wondering whether or not to give this a try, then doing some assisting or interning maybe as a summer job at a studio or with a photographer would be a more realistic option.

I shot my first wedding when I was in 7th grade...it was a very small civil ceremony for my sister's friend Monika. I owned a Cosmorex SE 35mm SLR with a 58mm f/2 Auto-Cosmogon lens, and the fastest color negative film that was available at that time, which was ASA 200 Kodak. The Cosmorex was an importer's brand for a Zenit-brand Russian model...very crude camera.

I had told her, repeatedly, "No,no,no, I don't want to shoot this for you!" but she persisted, and finally after maybe a month of her pressuring me, I gave in, went to the wedding, and shot a roll of film. The whole thing lasted like maybe 10 minutes!

The disaster happened when the skinny leather neckstrap on the Cosmorex snagged the left-side-mounted back release...the camera's back popped open at the event, ruining a good number of the exposures! ACK!!!! Talk about a disaster! Quite a few of the prints had massive red or red-and-yellow light leaks! The earliest frames, which had been shot in the hallway before, my "posed group formals", were okay.

Age shouldn't matter. As a compliment to the OP, they were responsible to at least seek an opinion, whether they act on it or not is another thing. 2 years could be enough with the right interest and understanding. I say well done on being asked either way. The real people in the know could advise you better if you show your work as suggested

Why all this obsession with money? Just focus on what you love doing best and tune out everything else. Your work will speak for itself.

And get a lawsuit if the standard is not up to how much money is invested? deary me.
Ooooo, you think? This would make for another great wedding photog case for Judge Joe Brown. : ) You could become famous!

:lol: Sounds like the start of an excellent movie. :)

Second reaction? Let's see your work thus far.
3.jpg

I really wish he would come back and post up some work; I'm very curious.

Okay folks, let's keep in mind that we're in the ASPIRING Professionals forum. Please, by all means, answer the OPs question as you feel appropriate, but lets try and keep the vitriol and sarcasm to a minimum shall we?

Thanks!

Sarcasm is the only language some of these people speak

Most reactions

Back