Should I switch photographers?

dnavarrojr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topekadesign.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a very narrow niche in Video and Photography that I cover and when people ask me to do things outside of that niche, I refer them to another photographer in town whose work I really like.

After referring about 6 weddings to him that he's booked over the past 4 months, I asked him about a "referral" fee and he told me that he appreciates my sending people his way, but he doesn't pay for referrals.

The primary reason I started recommending him was because he did the wedding photos for my fiance at her first wedding. And going through the galleries on his web site, I really liked what I saw, so I knew I was recommending someone good and experienced at the things I don't do. But we're not really friends...

So, should I start looking for another photographer to recommend? One who does pay for referrals...? I did some marketing research last year and found 99% of all the photographers in town. I made note of which ones I liked. So I guess I could start there.

Tricky one. I don't think I would pay for referrals either and there's no guarantee any of them will - that would cost a hell of a lot of money! Where does that leave you, "Sorry, I don't recommend other photographers because they don't pay me for it"?

I say either recommend them or don't, but don't expect money for it if the recommended photographer hasn't asked you to do so.

For my video business I started paying a $50 referral fee when a client signs a contract (which also requires a 50% deposit). I actually have a number of people actively recruiting business for me just for the fee and I've paid out 5 times since I started it in January. Which is why I asked the other photographer. It might still be something worth investigating... Wouldn't hurt to call up some other photographers whose work I like and asking the question. If nobody does, then I'll just keep recommending the same guy.

To be more specific, I offered to pay a $50 referral fee for new customers if they sign a contract for work to a number of sales people at some local radio and TV stations. They're out selling all the time and the same strategy worked for me years ago when my ex-wife and I did web sites for a living. Many media sales people work with their clients for an "overall advertising strategy" which includes not only the advertising they are directly selling, but they give advice on general marketing, web site review, and do copy-writing for an additional fee.

A radio sales exec once recommended my business to one of his clients who needed a web site and he asked if I paid any kind of referral fee. So I said sure, and I'd get him the details. I did a little research and then told him I'd pay him $25 for every referral of a new paying customer. After that, he would sell web sites as well as radio advertising. I was reminded of it when I went to one of those "speed-dating" type events for business owners back in January. A lot of media sales people were there, so I put together a packet and pitched it to them at the event. A couple of people have already earned some referrals.

Last edited:
The trade off is that if you get someone who pays you, but whose isn't as solid as this guy, it will reflect back on you. You look good to the customer here who will refer video business to you because they liked your referral to the still photographer. Just a thought.

I don't pay referral fees either, but I DO refer those people back when I'm already booked or I don't feel I'm the right fit. Actually, I have a small photographer network of 4 people, and we all do this with each other. It seems to work well for all of us.

So far, the guy I've been referring hasn't referred anyone back. But he doesn't do video and has told me he would recommend me for any video work that might come his way.

I send people looking for a wedding shooter to a buddy of mine that does weddings, if the wedding is booked he throws $40 my way. I am asked all the time by people if I know a photographer in another city and if I do I pass their names along, only because I know and trust the quality of their work and their personalties. I don't get too many coming back my way, but I do get picked up at airports, get a dinner, some beers passed my way when I'm in the cities of the guys that I recommended. In my world of photographers we are a close bunch and nothing is forgotten, somewhere down the road it comes back better.

I have no reason to refer anyone that I don't know, why would anyone?

When we're booked for a wedding, we refer out to the best photographer to match what the client needs. I don't think we've ever been paid a referral fee - I think it does a lot to establish your credibility with the person looking for a photographer. They may not need your services right now, but that doesn't mean they won't remember that you were willing to give a top knotch referral and know that you are worthy of their future business.

This is just a personal opinion but I would expect a referral back from the guy which has not happened or a referral bonus.

You gave the guy four wedding referrals which he shot and you haven't gotten anything back. I am not saying to break up the tie (which does not exist to begin with), however there is no ties involved so why not look and try someone else, and honestly paying out a small fee for referrals is not the end of the day, were talking about 20-50$... Basically you're giving work away and putting money into someones pocket so why not get some credit back.

Four weddings should be a little bit of cash, at least the guy could get a gift certificate and say hey go out for a dinner and some drinks on me... its just courtesy saying thanks for the business.

I got him! :)

I got a call yesterday from someone for a wedding. She wanted both a photographer and a videographer. I told her that I don't do wedding photos, but I'd be happy to hire one of the best in town so that she only has to deal with me. I then contacted him to see if he was available on her date (he was) and got his pricing info. I added $250 to his prices and gave them to her and she confirmed this afternoon for both. So I'll do the video, he'll do the photography and I'm making a little something off him. i got signed contracts (his and mine) and I'm processing her credit card now for the down... so once it goes through, I'll give him a check for his required down.

Maybe I should be a booking agent...

Usually its bit hard to find someone who pays for referring, on the contrary there are a lot of people who do reciprocate when they have an order in which don't have much of an experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back