Should I trade-in my Canon 5DM2 for a Sony A7/A7ii?

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title suggests, I have been wanting to switch over from Canon to Sony for some time now. I currently own a Canon 5DM2, but I am getting tired of the lack of features/updates it lacks in comparison to Sony's A7. For instance, the Sony A7 has 117 focus point as opposed to my 5DM2's mere 9 focus points.

If I do transition over to the Sony A7, ideally, I would like to use my Canon lenses still. I know a lot of people recommend using Metabone's adapter but I came across a cheaper option:
goo.gl/6ZFgv5

I guess what I am asking is should I sell my 5DM2 for either the Sony A7/A7ii, and which of the two would you recommend? I haven't noticed much of difference between the Sony A7 and it's successor the Sony A7ii. Should I save a few hundred dollars or go the mile for the newer version?

If any of you use a Sony A7 w/ Canon lenses via an adapter, how are the results?

I would get a 5D III or the new 5D IV
If push to answer your question then the A7 II

I would get a 5D III or the new 5D IV
If push to answer your question then the A7 II

I was planning on selling my 5DM for about $1200, and then use those funds towards the Sony A7II. The Canon 5DM3 is a little out of my budget, but I could see it being an option.

don't let me discourage you from selling your 5d2 for $1,200, but I'm waiting to see if Canon does release a ff mirrorless this fall.

I did make the switch and I doubt I will ever go back to the slr style camera, however I am eagerly hoping to jump away from Sony. it's just not a polished camera system. The lenses are few and extremely overpriced. Not a fan of big 2.8 glass their f4 stuff gets horrible reviews. nothing on any shoot has ever worked like my old canon equipment did.

"Sony A7 has 117 focus point" who cares if it's not focusing on what you want it to. I think some of the bells and whistles that people call features have a couple of generations to work out the kinks. If Canon doesn't release a mirrorless (ff-pro version) this fall then I'm committed to Sony, but I'm still very much hoping.

the grass is not greener over here

don't let me discourage you from selling your 5d2 for $1,200, but I'm waiting to see if Canon does release a ff mirrorless this fall.

I did make the switch and I doubt I will ever go back to the slr style camera, however I am eagerly hoping to jump away from Sony. it's just not a polished camera system. The lenses are few and extremely overpriced. Not a fan of big 2.8 glass their f4 stuff gets horrible reviews. nothing on any shoot has ever worked like my old canon equipment did.

"Sony A7 has 117 focus point" who cares if it's not focusing on what you want it to. I think some of the bells and whistles that people call features have a couple of generations to work out the kinks. If Canon doesn't release a mirrorless (ff-pro version) this fall then I'm committed to Sony, but I'm still very much hoping.

the grass is not greener over here

What are some of your other reasons, besides the ones you've listed, as to why you want to switch from your Sony system? In my research, I did notice that most of Sony's native lenses were overpriced, but I'll be using my own Canon lenses via an adapter. I am only worried that some of my Canon lenses will not be compatible or perform as decent, if not better than expected in terms of focusing and overall image quality.

If I had to state the MAIN reasons as to why I want to switch to a Sony A7 body is because it will be a newer, updated camera packed with the latest software in comparison to my 5DM2. I'd really like to hear from your standpoint on owning a Sony A7. Which one do you have?

"... but I'll be using my own Canon lenses via an adapter...

If I had to state the MAIN reasons as to why I want to switch to a Sony A7 body is because it will be a newer, updated camera packed with the latest software.."

First to address the adapter idea, yes I have the MB with it's latest firmware. Just think about the idea of always having a two part lens attached to the camera it's really an unbalanced system wether on a tripod or handheld. And yes native lenses work better if you want to play with the different focusing bells and whistles. Placing an 85mm front filter lens with the adapter onto the little e-mount then mounting to the 1/4 hole way back under the body of a small mirrorless to a tripod is unbalanced, plain and simple.

Let me be upfront my A7r2 is a heck of a camera, it's features still blow even the newly announced IV out of the water - for me. But when I say it's just not a polished camera system I suggest you rent the Sony and play with it for a weekend. I'm declining posting a long list of laundry items. It may work for you it may not, right now Canon sure seems to be dropping the ball to a competition that doesn't even deserve to be in the ring.

For instance, the Sony A7 has 117 focus point as opposed to my 5DM2's mere 9 focus points.

I have no experience with either camera so I have no advice. However the statement I quoted is silly to me. Whether a camera has 117 focus points or 9 or 9000 is trivial. What matters is that it provides accurate exposures. If you plan to change systems understand that it is a big deal for a lot of reasons and should be undertaken for really good reasons not because of the lack of features that make good marketing fodder.

Most reactions

Back