should I?

LynziMarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I may have the chance to upgrade my camera from my nice little Nikon D50 to the D300.....

I'm seriously considering it... DUH!!! haha

but I wonder, would it be worth it to get this camera now, or wait until I can get a D3? I read that the D300 can almost match the quality of the D3 with a few choice accessories... is there any truth to that?

What do you think? Should I go for it, or wait?

Depends on how the money situation is. I've seen the results from both, and while not a scientific test, the results are very close. The only big difference is the noise at the highest ISOs.

I'm very happy with the D300 - but, if I could get my hands on a D3 of my own, I'd take it.

Depends on how the money situation is. I've seen the results from both, and while not a scientific test, the results are very close. The only big difference is the noise at the highest ISOs.

I'm very happy with the D300 - but, if I could get my hands on a D3 of my own, I'd take it.

thanks!!
It would be a while before I got a D3... a long while...
but I could probably get the D300 this weekend.

My thinking is... I'm soooo far from being anything remotely close to professional, that a D3 wouldn't be a wise investment. I'm not getting paid for anything, so it would be a camera that wouldn't end up "paying for itself" and at that price... well... it would be much easier on the heart muscle I think (hehe)
When I do become "pro" if that ever happens, and am making money using a camera of this caliber, maybe it will make more sense to me and by that time maybe they'll have a D5 out... who knows?! :mrgreen:
And, being just barely 18, who knows I could decide photography just isn't for me and end up drifting out of it like ballet and soccer.... probably not, but ya never know :sexywink:

I think I'll go with the D300 and stock up on some really nice lenses and gear and all that extra fun stuff :D
The super nice stuff I'll leave to the PRO pro's...you know who I mean...

I think I'll go with the D300 and stock up on some really nice lenses and gear and all that extra fun stuff :D
The super nice stuff I'll leave to the PRO pro's...you know who I mean...
I'd say that sounds like an excellent plan!

Yeah i'm on the same boot, except don't have as much cash to splash (at least i can rhythm, eh?).

I've been deciding to get a D80 or a D200, fairly cheap cameras i know but i just quit my job to spend all of my time working on photography, getting experience etc.

Anyway, i decided it's worth getting the lesser camera, even though the quality is roughly the same image wise, just not as Pro based.. cameras only last a few years whereas lenses can last a lot lot longer. Good glass should provide better results and be more worth the money in the long run.

I'd go for getting a D300 and getting some nice glass for it instead (if you can afford, it of course). Bear in mind that the D3 is strictly a professional camera; it's heavy, shoots lightning fast, and is full-frame. But, of course, shooting full-frame can be a disadvantage if you mainly shoot sports or wildlife; you'll need longer lenses or you'll need to crop more.

D300, I'd say. It's still a professional-quality camera, for sure.

Wait for July 1st and see if Nikon is going to bring out the D700. You can find more details at www.nikonrumors.com. I'd get that one if the price depending on the price and availability.

Good quality lenses are more important than the camera body; most DSLR's have similar features and most of the expense of the higher end models is in the robustness of the body.
I would definitely go for a better lens for the time being.

3 is way over kill if you aren't a pro, imo. Get the 300 and if things change one day, you can get the "5" or whatever is out by that point, and have your 300 as a backup.

The only big difference is the noise at the highest ISOs.

The D3 is a full-frame camera, D300 is 1.5x crop. ;-)

The D300 is definately a pro camera, too.

You'll be happy with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back