Shovel Reflector for less then $10

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So based on the creative work of @tirediron and his "soup can" reflector, I set out to do something similar for a shovel reflector for the background. Using a standard 90 degree, 6" register duct https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-1...Steel-90-Degree-Register-Duct-Boot/1000237503 I first cut out the face with tin snips as shown. The 6" duct was to small to fit in the standard Bowden reflector, but wrapping some adhesive backed weatherstripping filled the gap and provided for a snug, friction fit. FYI WARNING the edges of this thing are freaky scary sharp. Anytime you do something like this it's a wise idea to cover the edges. I used black electrical tape I had on hand. My only expense for the project was the 90 degree duct.
20190126_120841-2.jpg

20190126_121025-2.jpg

I'll try to post some images of the pattern it throws, later. I may go ahead while the sun is out and paint the thing white inside and black on the outside. All I had was cell phone on these.

Very cool - very interested to see the light that this puts out.

Had a couple of cans of spray paint on the shelf. Painted the inside bright white, and hammered metal black on the outside.
IMGP2453.jpg

IMGP2454.jpg

With flash head approximately 5' from the background. No diffusion over the reflector. This is a 9' wide x 6' tall area. For a cheap hack I'd say it did an outstanding job of spreading out the light. Excited to try this out on some future shots.
IMGP2452.jpg

Have you taken meter readings across the pattern? It looks to me like a "speed light" illumination pattern with falloff in the corners, rectangular in shape and hotter in the centre.

If this was your goal, congrats on the McGiver.

Have you taken meter readings across the pattern? It looks to me like a "speed light" illumination pattern with falloff in the corners, rectangular in shape and hotter in the centre.

If this was your goal, congrats on the McGiver.

Don't really need to meter, with a 9' wide by 6' tall area I would expect there to be falloff. The shape is actually more of an inverted triangle with the point and hotter point, center/bottom. Need to experiment with it in practical use, then adjust the opening. I think I may have cut a little to far down on the front and likely need to fill that some, and trim more off the sides to get more spread on the sides.

Most reactions

Back