Shutter Count

pugnacious33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
soundinsights.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As far as I can tell, there is no way to get a shutter count on a Rebel xti with exif or an app of any kind. I'm the original owner of the camera, my last taken photo was named IMG1900, and the oldest one I have on record is IMG7100 (everything before that was backed up and lost in a comp. crash, but the names are not numbered). My guess is that I flipped the 10K mark and i'm up to about 12000 shutter-fires. Am I figuring this correctly?

thanks for the info

My guess is that I flipped the 10K mark and i'm up to about 12000 shutter-fires. Am I figuring this correctly?

Sounds right.

On pretty much all Canons other than the top of the line, there is no way to check the number of actuations. File number is the only thing you have to go by.

If you upload an original file to flickr with no editing or anything like that, they'll tell you your shutter count under property. I have about 7000 on Nikon D40 right now. Happy shooting :)

If you upload an original file to flickr with no editing or anything like that, they'll tell you your shutter count under property. I have about 7000 on Nikon D40 right now. Happy shooting :)
That only works with the more recent Nikon cameras. Won't work for Canon.

If you put img_0001 on a memory card, and put that in the camera, the next file number should be img_0002. I learned this the hard way when I was sharing memory cards between two canon camera's. So ive lost the file count on both of them. :( oh well.

I was thinking xxxD canon dslr's were rated for around 10k? glad to hear thats wrong. :) im at like 15k on my 350d, or so I think. :)

i don't wana know mine. Its like knowing you have a fatal disease or something. Ive heard of a program called opanda or something that can tell you shutter counts.

Just make a note when they turn over to 0001. I can't speak for the rebel line, but my XXD line has really held up well as long as you don't start dropping them a lot.

20d: 160k clicks
30d: 90k clicks
40d: 120K clicks
5d: 75k clicks

I shoot for a living, so I abuse my camera's more then your average bear and they keep on going strong.

Just make a note when they turn over to 0001.

Mine hasn't rolled over yet (probably got about 2 months left)... I'm mostly worried about duplicate file numbers. I'll probably have to set Lightroom to add a 1 on the front (making it a 5 digit number- 1XXXX).

Not entirely sure if LR can do that though. I know you can add stuff to the beginning or the end, but I'm not sure about the middle...

(Gonna go look into that right now)

Can't do it...

You can only add before or after the file name, not in the middle of it.
I set it up to add a 0 to the end (well, I just made the preset - I won't actually use it till it rolls over).

So, the first files after the roll-over would be: IMG_00010, IMG_00020, IMG_00030, etc. Works for me.

Most reactions

Back