Shutter jamming??

Barnoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I Bought a Nikon D80 back in 2006 and at that time used it all the time, great camera.
Sadly for many years its been in its camera bag along with a couple of lenses and filters and not used.

Yesterday i was looking for an old tripod i knew i had somewhere which lead me to pulling out my D80.
I charged the 2 batteries and even found photos on the memory card of the Red Arrows....

Anyway the first thig i noticed was it was sticky, No idea why as its been kept dry?
i took a picture with it and i think the shutter has jammed, i now get "Err" on the LCD screen and cannot take another photo
the view through the camera is just black.
The mirror is stuck in the up position

Any idea what i need to do?
I want to start using the camera again, i realise its old and outdated now, but it took great photos, some of which i still use

Last edited:
Since i own 3 lenses and several macro lenses and filters to fit a Nikon, buying a Canon is not likely.
Although watching a youtube video on this problem HERE i think i will bin the camera and get another, i aint trying that!
And getting Nikon to repair it will cost more than the camera is worth.

Since i own 3 lenses and several macro lenses and filters to fit a Nikon, buying a Canon is not likely.
Although watching a youtube video on this problem HERE i think i will bin the camera and get another, i aint trying that!
And getting Nikon to repair it will cost more than the camera is worth.
See the wee smiley faces after my comment? That was an indication that I was joking.🙄

It simply may be the shutter mechanism is toast. Thus, it's probably not worth fixing.

You might try to gently pull down on the mirror and see if that corrects the issue. It may occur again, it may not.

See the wee smiley faces after my comment? That was an indication that I was joking.🙄
I know :)
It simply may be the shutter mechanism is toast. Thus, it's probably not worth fixing.

You might try to gently pull down on the mirror and see if that corrects the issue. It may occur again, it may not.
I tried physically pulling it down it just pings back up when i let go, even after holding while i fire off a shot
You can get a used D80 at keh.com for $80.
That may be an option.

Seriously? Time to update--on the cheap. Look into the Nikon D7100/7200 cameras. The D80 debuted in 2006, killed off in 2008. Repairs? Doubtful. Apart from their innate goodness, later cameras work with manual Ai, AF-D, AFS lenses--a huge advantage for anyone but especially for budget-conscious shooters.

What's the best buget Nikon that also does 4k video?
I currently use a Insta360 x3, GoPro 10 and DJI Mini 3 pro Drone for video footage, but would be nice to use a camera on a tripod in certain situations.
Don't want to pay a fortune for one though.

I had a problem similar on a Canon Elan and found that some how in the custom functions the mirror lockup got turned on. Don’t know if the D80 has that capabilit or not

I Bought a Nikon D80 back in 2006 and at that time used it all the time, great camera.
Sadly for many years its been in its camera bag along with a couple of lenses and filters and not used.

Yesterday i was looking for an old tripod i knew i had somewhere which lead me to pulling out my D80.
I charged the 2 batteries and even found photos on the memory card of the Red Arrows....

Anyway the first thig i noticed was it was sticky, No idea why as its been kept dry?
i took a picture with it and i think the shutter has jammed, i now get "Err" on the LCD screen and cannot take another photo
the view through the camera is just black.
The mirror is stuck in the up position

Any idea what i need to do?
I want to start using the camera again, i realise its old and outdated now, but it took great photos, some of which i still use
Could be lubricant from it or another component fouling your shutter. Happened to me with a borrowed Pentax in
Bahrain, Probably from the ambient air so hot!

What's the best buget Nikon that also does 4k video?
I currently use a Insta360 x3, GoPro 10 and DJI Mini 3 pro Drone for video footage, but would be nice to use a camera on a tripod in certain situations.
Don't want to pay a fortune for one though.

I don't know if it's a "budget" option, but the D780 has wonderful 4K video capabilities.

Hi All, sorry for the late reply.

I bought a Nikon D7500
It has what i needed and i got a mint condition hardly used one for £550 (body only)
i put my 2 lenses on and it seems to work ok
Nikon 70-300mm VR FX AF-S f/4.5-5.6 G
Nikon AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

I know my lenses are probably old now and poor relations to newer versions but at least with this new camera i can make use of them again.
Still got the D80, not sure what to do with it tbh
I have some macro lenses too not tried them yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back