Shutter Problems!! Please Help!

rvaphotographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey I'm new to the forums. I have a Nikon D40X. I've been having trouble focusing for the last few months. I thought I just needed to get my shutter release button cleaned, but now I think it's a problem with the shutter curtain. When I take photos the top half of the photo is black. Anyone know what's causing this/is it expensive to fix or can I fix it myself??

I wouldn't mess with it myself. It isn't easy to fix unless you know what you are doing! I would send it back to Nikon if it is still under warranty. If you, maybe ask for a quote and see how much it costs to get it fixed. If it is more than the camera is worth, just use it for parts.

What's your shutter speed? are you using a flash. IF shooting at something of 1/400sec with flash indoors, it'll make sense. I think this video explains it well
You can/should also contact Nikon in regards 1-800-645-6678 (main #) and if you are around NY area, 631-439-2670.
Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely isn't a problem with the flash. I messed with that as soon as it started to happen. I'm pretty positive my shutter is broken. Every time I press the shutter button the screen reads error: press shutter release button again. I just don't know how it broke. Thanks for the help though.

I'm definitely calling Nikon though. And I'm gonna have to get a quote because it isn't under warranty any more. =[

It definitely isn't a problem with the flash. I messed with that as soon as it started to happen. I'm pretty positive my shutter is broken. Every time I press the shutter button the screen reads error: press shutter release button again. I just don't know how it broke. Thanks for the help though.

I'm definitely calling Nikon though. And I'm gonna have to get a quote because it isn't under warranty any more. =[
The average expected shutter life on a D40 is about 50,000 clicks. Some fail sooner, some fail later. The D40's not listed but you can look at the D50 numbers: Camera Shutter Life Database

Shutter replacement will run you about $250/$300 including insured shipping to/from Nikon. Since the warranty has expired, there are several Nikon approved independent repair shops, which means Nikon will sell them replacement parts. Nikon Authorized Repair List

Most reactions

Back