shutter speed vs focal length

Your concern about motion blur/camera shake obviously depend on shutter speed which will depend on available light and aperture along with film speed. Really need more specifics to help.

Im might also use a bronica etrs with a 75 f/2 8

Your concern about motion blur/camera shake obviously depend on shutter speed which will depend on available light and aperture along with film speed. Really need more specifics to help.

Im might also use a bronica etrs with a 75 f/2 8

Never shot a Mamiya 7. Just keep in mind that DOF with MF will be thin at 2.8 with the Bronica at close/medium range. At, say, f5.6 and smaller, you'll get better DOF but have slower shutter speeds to deal with. I've used a Bronica SQ-B with an 80/2.8 for that sort of shooting and found a monopod really helped since a tripod just wasn't practical for support. Pushed b&w film or something like Portra 400 for its huge latitude might also work well.

Do you have an incident light meter?

Last edited:
Never shot a Mamiya 7. Just keep in mind that DOF with MF will be thin at 2.8 with the Bronica at close/medium range. At, say, f5.6 and smaller, you'll get better DOF but have slower shutter speeds to deal with. I've used a Bronica SQ-B with an 80/2.8 for that sort of shooting and found a monopod really helped since a tripod just wasn't practical for support. Pushed b&w film or something like Portra 400 for its huge latitude might also work well.

Do you have an incident light meter?

Yeah I have an incident light meter and im gonna use a monopod there too

Still puzzled by your idea that tripod mounting has anything to do with mirror slap.
I know you mix ideas sometimes. This thread is about abilities and limitations in hand shooting a camera. Read all.

Just reading what you posted. Seems you're talking thru your hat about the P67. No one needs that.
Please, don't call yourself "no one", after all I believe you are a photographer. That's already someone. But please stop there, photography doesn't include clairvoyance. Or I am missing something ?

I know that in 35mm terms there's a little rule that when shooting hand held you shouldnt have your shutter speed slower than that of your lenses focal length (like if youre using a 50mm lens you cant have it slower than 1\50th). Now since medium format lenses tend to be on the longer side like an 80mm lens but have a field of view like a 50mm should I shoot if faster than the original focal length or shoot it faster than the focal length with reverse crop factor. Im asking this because im going to go to my friends bands gig and I want to know if I can get that extra stop of light without creating unwanted motion blur. -Thanks

I have a Mamiya 7. I'm mostly a large format guy but it is a stellar camera. Lenses are amazing, sharp like Leica lenses.

Three things. The first answer is yes. The lens is much longer, and more telephoto and it needs a faster shutter speed to compensate for hand-heldedness.
The second is that if you don't want to use a tripod... you can always try a monopod. It's only half as good, but will help nonetheless. I have a cheap aluminum one that weighs almost nothing (and costs almost nothing as well). It' only a stick with a screw in it, after all. Some are cool, they auto-extend and if I shot with one all the time I would get one of those. But my aluminum stick does the job...

The third thing is to get out there and go to a club with your camera, or any other similar venue, waste a few rolls of film and try it out... There's no substitute for experience. There are plenty of places open at night and when you are shooting you won't worry if you are doing it all for naught.

Lenny
EigerStudios

I have a Mamiya 7. I'm mostly a large format guy but it is a stellar camera. Lenses are amazing, sharp like Leica lenses.

Three things. The first answer is yes. The lens is much longer, and more telephoto and it needs a faster shutter speed to compensate for hand-heldedness.
The second is that if you don't want to use a tripod... you can always try a monopod. It's only half as good, but will help nonetheless. I have a cheap aluminum one that weighs almost nothing (and costs almost nothing as well). It' only a stick with a screw in it, after all. Some are cool, they auto-extend and if I shot with one all the time I would get one of those. But my aluminum stick does the job...

The third thing is to get out there and go to a club with your camera, or any other similar venue, waste a few rolls of film and try it out... There's no substitute for experience. There are plenty of places open at night and when you are shooting you won't worry if you are doing it all for naught.

Lenny
EigerStudios

Thanks for the advice ill keep it in mind when im down there

Most reactions

Back