Sick of it

MTVision said:
*****Derrel - I still think you're Jane Momtographer ;)

No, I am not her. I did write one post here, sort of in the style of Jane Momtographer. I love satirical writing, and I can imitate her basic style, but I think Jane goes a bit overboard on the cutesy sayings and internet-era lingo.

Something very,very,very funny was on Saturday Night Live this weekend, in one of the early sketches. It had the two new "featured players" Terran Killian and the new woman as the hosts of some TV show that interviewed young people who grew up in the age of "entitlement". This current age, where "everybody is equal. The age in which school children heard phrases like, "Let's all line up now to receive our participation medals children!" kind of environment. The catchphrase was, "You can do ANYTHING!" Their first guest came on, and he said he was going to juggle 10 bowling pins. They asked, "So, you're a juggler?" and he said, "No, never juggled before in my life!" A second guest sang a song...and admitted that his parent had always told him he was grrrrrreat at everything, and that because of the way his parent had related to him, that he had no idea that he sucked.

According to PopWatch, "“I tried, and therefore, no one should criticize me.” That was one of the lines uttered by Daniel Radcliffe‘s hopelessly ambitious character Brad during the people-with-no-self-awareness sketch “You Can Do Anything.”

This woman's lack of self-awareness made me think of that comedy sketch!!! I am not saying that the blogger referenced here "sucks"; what I am saying is that it is apparent that she has no training in art, posing, or people photography. The 100% "headless" people, and the footless people in seated poses show that she is a totally self-taught person who has learned how to point a camera, and to process images, and apply filters or actions--but her skills in creating photographs that look "professional" are lacking. I am familiar with the Facebook Photographers in my area, as well as the MWAC types....SOME of them are pretty good within their genre. But when a photographer admits that she gets only one inquiry per week--not one JOB per week, but one inquiry per week...that kind of information is absolutely damaging to her reputation!!

I love satire. SOme of the most telling truths have long been portrayed in satire. Look at the works of Moliere. The SNL sketch You Can Do Anything, which a far cry from the caliber of Moliere's work, DOES SHOW US that there is a substantial number of people in their 30's who seem to have a VERY,very high opinion of themselves and their abilities...despite the fact that their "mad skillz" are nothing more than run-of-the-mill.

Watch the Sketch "You Can Do Anything" about 1/4 of the way down this episode review on PopWatch:'SNL': Daniel Radcliffe turned in a solid effort, Lana Del Rey turned off Twitter followers | PopWatch | EW.com

Honestly, it sounds like months and months of pent up frustration and stress that ended up on her blog. Perhaps she made a mistake by posting it, but a lot of people will like that she's honest. Personally, I would like that. There's a fine line between honestly and complaining, though, and it's hard for me to tell which one she is by reading the post. I looked through her portfolios, and I think she's a pretty good photographer. Everyone with a point and shoot is a professional these days, so she's got a lot to compete against. We've all got a lot to compete against as photographers. She should just move forward.

Did anyone read the comments after her blog rant?? HAHAHA, hilarious. If she had a "like" button on her blog I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from Facebook!

This one was one of my favorites:

"Leslie- can get a hell yeah?? very well written. thank you for being REAL! wow. I’m a mother of three and trying to get my name out there as well. Bravo to you for being honest. thank you. there should be more photographers like you out there. And your work is amazing btw."

Or....

"Rachel- Absolutely spot on. One of the photographers I follow on facebook had shared this entry and I had to come read it. I will keep your struggling family in my prayers. I’m dealing with the same thing right now…breaking out in a small town with a hundred other photographers already. People say I’m too expensive, or that the other photogs include a cd with all of the images, why do I charge for mine? etc. I’m different. I’m me. And I’m not going to apologize for that. Those clients that value your work are out there, and they will find you. Stay strong!!!"

Honestly, it sounds like months and months of pent up frustration and stress that ended up on her blog. Perhaps she made a mistake by posting it, but a lot of people will like that she's honest. Personally, I would like that. There's a fine line between honestly and complaining, though, and it's hard for me to tell which one she is by reading the post. I looked through her portfolios, and I think she's a pretty good photographer. Everyone with a point and shoot is a professional these days, so she's got a lot to compete against. We've all got a lot to compete against as photographers. She should just move forward.

Honesty being a good thing or not, I would not think it a good idea to rant about your business failing for any reason.

I have followed her for a couple years. She is a very good photographer but she has moved a couple times in the last three years....the business has not caught up with her and she is struggling.
She is fighting the getting recognized in a new market battle and she is trying something innovative.

I see no problem with telling it like it is...I struggle with that sort of thing myself. I give her kudos for doing what "she" feels is right.
Hope she gets back on her feet soon.

Don't be so quick to hate on people when you have no idea of their situation.

I wouldn't say it's professional suicide, but it is rather unprofessional and whiney to be posting it on a professional website. As a working professional photographer who is also a mom (of 4), wife of a student (who happens to also be a disabled vet-which puts him at even more of an income disadvantage) and a million other things I applaud her for putting it all down in black and white and not feeling sorry for it. I have had those days when it was money that was the bane of my existence.
BUT... when it's not money it's something else. This business is what YOU MAKE IT. Not what comes your way by accident. Success is achieved by designing it. Plan your shot, shoot your plan.
What does she need? A few GOOD business classes from the professionals in this industry or a trip to WPPi and the business platform classes.

I have followed her for a couple years. She is a very good photographer but she has moved a couple times in the last three years....the business has not caught up with her and she is struggling.
She is fighting the getting recognized in a new market battle and she is trying something innovative.

I see no problem with telling it like it is...I struggle with that sort of thing myself. I give her kudos for doing what "she" feels is right.
Hope she gets back on her feet soon.

Don't be so quick to hate on people when you have no idea of their situation.

Ah, one of her "followers" coming to her defense. She now lives in Denver--a "big city"...one of the largest cities in the entire Pacific Nortwest/Rocky Mountain area. Now she has to compete against established real full-time professionals, as well as all the MWAC and Facebook Photographers in the greater Denver area. It's one thing to be a big fish in a small pond, and to sell photographic services to friends, and friends of friend in one's little local area, and another thing entirely to move that kind of "business" to a large metropolitan area that is absolutely saturated with competition. This post tells us a lot about her situation: that is a MOM and all that entails (a LOT of work by gosh!)...she identifies as a mother of three...that tells me this "business" is a side-biz. Her personal situation and the sob story that goes with it seems to be of concern to her blog's followers...kind of the poor, abandoned, starving puppy dog approach, begging for sympathy. Hey...it might work, but I have zero sympathy for her. Nobody is hating on her. That's a juvenile way of framing the feelings being expressed here. This is a grown-up discussion.

"hate on people"????? Oh, come on...is that what's happening here?

Everyone with a point and shoot is a professional these days, so she's got a lot to compete against. We've all got a lot to compete against as photographers. She should just move forward.

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO! THOSE ARE NOT YOUR COMPETITION!!! That is the biggest hurdle to overcome.
The corner momtographer (or dadtographer) with $50 for everything and the kitchen sink photographers are NOT your competition!! You do NOT want their clients because they are NOT going to value your price and product.They are NOT going to pay a $triple digit sitting fee and purchase ARTWORK. They want pictures and you can get those done at Sears, Penneys, WalMart...
When you and she get beyond that and figure out that YOU are your ONLY competition then life and business is SOOOOO much easier!

Merely saying that you can't know her from the statement you are reading and people are way to quick to go negative on a person who is having a hard time at present.

I am not a "follower" when I said followed I mean I have been aware of her work work for a few years.
Yes "hating" go back and read some of the posts, including yours.

She is a good photographer, she is not a mom and pop photographer. She was well established "real" photographer in the Salt Lake market then she moved a couple times and is now in Denver. No doubt if she sticks it out there for a couple years she will be well established there as well.

MReid,

You wrote, "I have followed her for a couple years." Have followed her...a couple of years...hmmm... you also implied you know what her situation is...

Why not write EXACTLY what you mean to say, okay? You stated one thing, then contradicted your statement in the very next post. Sorry I took your written words at face value.

The headless people photos are something a real photographer does not do...nor does a "real" photographer cut the feet off of people in group shots...those are beginner-level flaws.

MLeeK said:
I wouldn't say it's professional suicide, but it is rather unprofessional and whiney to be posting it on a professional website. As a working professional photographer who is also a mom (of 4), wife of a student (who happens to also be a disabled vet-which puts him at even more of an income disadvantage) and a million other things I applaud her for putting it all down in black and white and not feeling sorry for it. I have had those days when it was money that was the bane of my existence.
BUT... when it's not money it's something else. This business is what YOU MAKE IT. Not what comes your way by accident. Success is achieved by designing it. Plan your shot, shoot your plan.
What does she need? A few GOOD business classes from the professionals in this industry or a trip to WPPi and the business platform classes.

You know what's funny - I thought of you when I read her blog post. I could never ever imagine you writing anything like that - even if you were in that position.

I don't know her or her work. She could be the best photographer in the world and the nicest person ever but it doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't hire someone who posted that. It would be a huge turn off. I want someone who is confident in their abilities. She may be confident in her abilities but it doesn't seem like she's too confident in her business.

Lots of people move and have to relocate their business. That means they may have to change some things or work harder to make it in a new location. It's still no reason to rant and rave to your clients or could-be clients. Why put it out there?

Some guy, I'll have to look up who, responded to her blog and he even offered to help her out with her business. The person who offered relocated recently as well.

She is a good photographer

You don't have to be a good photographer to recognize a bad one and her portfolio has a whole lotta' bad, it's not all bad, but a lot of it is. I can honestly say that If I were in the market I would have not hired her based solely on her portfolio.

No doubt if she sticks it out there for a couple years she will be well established there as well.

Then what's with the crying? If this was just some rant between friends then sure but it's not. Potential customers don't need to hear how mentally stresses and financially unstable you are, they don't need to hear about how unhappy you are because you don't have enough money to get what you want. She goes on and on about how good she is and then 'sighs' because she can't force us to hire her. It's our fault she is so put out, shes unhappy because she can't put our money in her pockets. That's a great message to send to potential clients.

MReid said:
Merely saying that you can't know her from the statement you are reading and people are way to quick to go negative on a person who is having a hard time at present.

I am not a "follower" when I said followed I mean I have been aware of her work work for a few years.
Yes "hating" go back and read some of the posts, including yours.

She is a good photographer, she is not a mom and pop photographer. She was well established "real" photographer in the Salt Lake market then she moved a couple times and is now in Denver. No doubt if she sticks it out there for a couple years she will be well established there as well.

Maybe she was a "real" photographer in Salt Lake but it probably didn't happen overnight there so it won't happen overnight in Denver.

I don't think anybody is hating on her at all. People are allowed to have opinions especially on information that is put out for the whole world to see. Just because opinions differ and may not favor Yan (or anybody for that matter) doesn't mean that anybody is "hating" on her. I know quite a few people on another forum that think her work is amazing but think that blog post is a joke.

MReid said:

Is she the only person having a hard time right now? No. Do I feel bad that she is struggling? Sure - that sucks for anybody. Do I feel bad that she is bitching and moaning that she doesn't have any work yet she has a roof over her head, food in her belly but can't afford 250.00 for her child's elective? No.

I'm sure lots of photographers are struggling as well as every other profession. If she's struggling that much then she can do something about it without whining to all her followers and potential clients.

Most reactions

Back