Sick of it

MLeeK said:
I wouldn't say it's professional suicide, but it is rather unprofessional and whiney to be posting it on a professional website. As a working professional photographer who is also a mom (of 4), wife of a student (who happens to also be a disabled vet-which puts him at even more of an income disadvantage) and a million other things I applaud her for putting it all down in black and white and not feeling sorry for it. I have had those days when it was money that was the bane of my existence.
BUT... when it's not money it's something else. This business is what YOU MAKE IT. Not what comes your way by accident. Success is achieved by designing it. Plan your shot, shoot your plan.
What does she need? A few GOOD business classes from the professionals in this industry or a trip to WPPi and the business platform classes.

You know what's funny - I thought of you when I read her blog post. I could never ever imagine you writing anything like that - even if you were in that position.

I don't know her or her work. She could be the best photographer in the world and the nicest person ever but it doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't hire someone who posted that. It would be a huge turn off. I want someone who is confident in their abilities. She may be confident in her abilities but it doesn't seem like she's too confident in her business.

Lots of people move and have to relocate their business. That means they may have to change some things or work harder to make it in a new location. It's still no reason to rant and rave to your clients or could-be clients. Why put it out there?

Some guy, I'll have to look up who, responded to her blog and he even offered to help her out with her business. The person who offered relocated recently as well.
I was her once... I learned a lot over the years from a lot of amazing business men and women. I still have bad days and I still get frustrated as hell, BUT i know now that it's all ME. I am the reason that I succeed or fail. Not the economy or moving or my husband's disability or my kids demands or anything else.

Quite obviously something she is doing (or isn't) is not right.. So, instead of crying about it she has to do something about it. This is not an "if you build it they will come" kind of thing. It is a lot of hard work; trial and error and most of all determination and drive. If one thing doesn't work you have to do something else and do it damn quick.
Plan your shot-shoot your plan.
Crying over spilled milk won't clean it up.
If at first you don't succeed...
Suck it up...
There are hundreds of them that apply here.

I liked it, found it to be a very honest, heartfelt post. As a not completely struggling, but not rolling in the dough photographer, it drives me nuts to see photographers using the royal 'we' or talking about how busy they are when it's clear there they don't have any employees, and I can tell that they are not at all busy.

Most reactions

Back