What's new

Sierra Classic

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
5,213
Reaction score
983
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today's rural exploration brought my buddy and I to an abandoned farm that we had photographed about a year ago. It looked like no one had set foot here since then. The only difference was that the house, which was already missing a portion of its roof back in 2010, was in worse shape today, with its floors caving in and eating furniture and big appliances.

My favourite image of the day was this GMC truck – if someone can identify the model year I'd appreciate it. Don't know why I decided to go with this somewhat over-the-top B&W conversion (by my standards), but I think it works.

Yes, that white stuff you see on the ground is snow, freshly fallen. May 1st, miserable spring day.

p876804190-4.jpg
 
I like it. The B&W works great. If you shot in color, it would be fun to see that too just for comparison since I really like that kind of shots of old cars. The only thing I would try different, is to edit out those cables that runs behind the car...but, maybe that's just me! Nice shot either way :)

...and good to hear that others still see snow falling :p
 
The conversion seems fine - if anything, less extreme than some of your others. My problem with it is the perspective. The extreme wide angle view taken from the corner of the truck exaggerates the headlight and other parts of that corner, but why are these more important than the rest of the truck, which is greatly diminished and very difficult to see well? Your other wide-angle work didn't create this much distortion of the subject. Perhaps it's just that I've never been much of a fan of extreme wide-angle views.
 
The only thing I would try different, is to edit out those cables that runs behind the car...but, maybe that's just me!
Not just you. In general I'm not bothered by power lines if they don't detract from the subject. I was on the fence with these and ultimately decided to leave them in. I might still change my mind.

...and good to hear that others still see snow falling :p
*Groan*

The conversion seems fine - if anything, less extreme than some of your others.
I like my images contrasty, while still retaining midtones. Here I did some tonal range work, which I rarely do because I don't like the effect, but this time I went ahead. While I like it, I'm still not convinced that my standard processing wouldn't have been better.

My problem with it is the perspective. The extreme wide angle view taken from the corner of the truck exaggerates the headlight and other parts of that corner, but why are these more important than the rest of the truck, which is greatly diminished and very difficult to see well? Your other wide-angle work didn't create this much distortion of the subject. Perhaps it's just that I've never been much of a fan of extreme wide-angle views.
I see where you're coming from. I suppose wide-angle lenses are an acquired taste. Every once in a while I like to play with the lens and enter "special-effects territory", just for fun, like here :)

Thanks 889Media and Ken!
 
That looks like a late 70's early 80's GMC Sierra 1500 1/2 ton pick-up.. Kinda odd though, it has the 70's round headlamps but the 80's bumper with those bumper guards.. If you can next time you are there, open the drivers door and have a look on the inside edge of the door or on the door pillar. You may still be able to see the vin number and production date there. By the way, I like the photo

Dave
 
Pics of old rotting-away cars just never seem to work for me. The subject is neat, but I've never found a composition of photography that works well for them. I feel the same way about this one, unfortunately. Just not exciting.

What can I say? I can't love EVERY image you produce, right? :)
 
That looks like a late 70's early 80's GMC Sierra 1500 1/2 ton pick-up.. Kinda odd though, it has the 70's round headlamps but the 80's bumper with those bumper guards.. If you can next time you are there, open the drivers door and have a look on the inside edge of the door or on the door pillar. You may still be able to see the vin number and production date there. By the way, I like the photo

Dave

yeah, I own a GM truck forum, to me it looks like a '79, but it could be something that someone replaced the bumper on with a different year, lots of parts are interchangable on these trucks...

here's a similar one I found on google:
Google Image Result for http://imganuncios.mitula.net/1979_gmc_sierra_4x4_1500_in_corcoran_minnesota_93319708468010973.jpg

great picture BTW. I like the black and white, it really works well with it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom