Sigam SD10

Michael Griffiths

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi'
Any one had any experience of the Sigma SD10 - or of sigma in general. They used to make some good lenses years ago. All I know it has a mega pixel range of 10 and some nifty scanning device - There’s a package going here in the UK for around £850 - back with two lenses- I have lenses for other makes and a Metz flash, but I don’t know if they would fit onto a sigma. I think I would rather get a Canon or a Nikon but the best ones ( 10mp+ ) are very pricey

Any suggestions

It has a different kind of sensor...
The SD10 has a Sigma AF mount and, like the SD9, a Foveon X3 10M CMOS Sensor* which has 2268 x 1512 x 3 photodetectors (three photodetectors for each pixel location). With the advent of the SD10 both Sigma and Foveon are taking the (braver but) more logical position of using the number 10 million to represent the number of photodetectors

I don't know how it would compare to Canon or Nikon sensors with 6 or 8 MP.

Personally I'd go with a Canon or Nikon just because of the lens selection...but if you have some compatible lenses already...it might be a good idea to stick with Sigma.

Sigma uses a proprietary lens mount, so you can only use Sigma lenses on it. Not that that's bad, but with a Canon or Nikon or Minolta or Pentax you can still use Sigma lenses if you want. And they do make a couple of pretty nice ones.

The SD10 (and the SD9 before it) seem to have no middle ground. People either love it or hate it. It only shoots RAW format, no jpgs directly out of the camera. The body is kinda clunky looking. The pics can be astounding, but you have to work for them.

The Sigma forum at dpreview.com board will have a lot of info & you can ask questions of those who use this camera.

Most reactions

Back