Sigma 14mm F/3.5 ... filter ?

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an older series Sigma AF 14mm f/3.5 lens -> http://www.bythom.com/14lens.htm

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this lens and using filters.

Due to the extreme angle of view, it does not have any way of attaching a filter on the front ... and does not have any rear mounting.

The only thing I can see is the lens cap attachment. It has a 72mm threaded opening.
Since I am using this on an APS-C digital camera ... I am thinking that it may be possible to mount a very thin 72mm filter on this cap.

Last edited:
To be fair, an hour and twenty-one minutes is not very long to wait for a response.

I am no expert in filters on ultrawide lenses, but might something like this be helpful? They make all sorts of filters for it, and they work with just about any lens. The wider, lower profile construction seems like it would be the most vignetting-resistant filter system on the market. Now, if you're looking for something like a UV filter that you're just going to leave on there all the time, this system will not be of very much use.

Actually I was wondering about the same thing since I have a Tamron 14mm F/2.8 lens and that lens has a large rounded front lens element and a built-in hood. So I thought I am not able to use any filters (i.e. CPL, ND)

I didn't look at the picture before- I don't think that 4x4 system is going to work with a rounded front element like that. The article you linked to does say that there's a slot for gelatin filters.

I have partially solved my problem.

I have purchased a slim CPL filter.

The Sigma lens cap for this lens has a 72mm opening (which they fit a lens cap on). It slips on the outside of the lens hood (it has a felt liner).

I have screwed the CPL filter on the inside of the lens cap.
There is only slight vignetting at the corners ... still very usable, will require slight cropping in PS.

Most reactions

Back