Sigma 150-500 vs Tamron 200-500mm

That's true. But you lose the convenience of a zoom. So, it really depends what you're looking for.

On the same token, there's a 50-500 OS now, which performs impeccably. Also, from what I've heard, the 120-300/2.8OS is just as good as the 300/4 at F/4. So, if you don't mind the weight, that's a great way to go as well. But, it's $3200.

EDIT: For sharpness. Resolution is quite a bit worse.

Mark

Last edited:
I bought the sigma about a month ago and love it. My only complaint is the image quality on an overcast day is lacking. On a sunny day it's great!

I agree, but it seems that at this price Nikon 300 f4 provides the best IQ, I had to forgo the convenience of Zoom and VR, but it does not seem to be a loss, when I compare the price and IQ... :)

I have the Sigma 150-500 for more than 2 years now and I cannot say I regret buying it.

This is just one example of what I could do with it:

Details: Sigma 150-500 at 500mm f/6.3, 1/100, ISO 400, OS on in position 1, auto-focus, hand-held on Nikon D5000. No sharpness was added in PP. I should mention that I made this photo after about 1 hour of walking with this camera+lens setup through a park (for those worried for the weight....).

It is not a fast lens as anyone can see from its description but there is no other lens that I know that can do the same within the same money.
It has limitations and it can be frustrating but in good conditions and after you learn it, you have good chances to be very satisfied.

Unfortunately on my new D7000 it's behavior is a little weird: at f11 - f22 the camera over exposes the images for some reason.... but I usually stop at f8. Also, I just encountered another interesting issue: while on tripod, attached to D7000 which was set to shoot in remote mode with mirror lock-up, in live-view with zoom for better focus on a building I press the button on the remote command and it focuses correctly, the mirror snaps up, so I cannot see anything anymore. At this point, with other lenses, I usually wait about 6 seconds to make sure the entire setup is not vibrating anymore and than press the remote again to take the picture. If I wait more than 2 seconds the image is totally blurred as if the camera was shaken vertically. I realized than that after about 2-3 seconds after it focuses a faint sound can be heard - I suppose it's either the OS mechanism or the focus lens that moves. If I release the shutter before that the image is fine.
I have yet to make the same test on my D5000 to see if this is an issue somehow also related to the camera.

If the camera is on a tripod, take the OS off. It will blur the image, like you're saying here. It is trying to compensate for motion, and, because it's on a tripod, there clearly is none. So, you end up with a blurry image. Try it with the OS off, and you shouldn't have any problem.

Mark

That's a good idea! I heard about that but never actually considered it so slipped my mind completely!
It is interesting though that in the same setup the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 with VR on does not behave the same - I had only sharp pictures.

Thanks!

You were right Markw. It was the OS. With OS disabled everything is fine. Also I have tested a little bit more the over-exposure problem and it appears now only from f/16 and up to f/22. At f/22 over exposes about 2 stops! But I never need it at f/22 anyway.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back