Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a lens into a semi local shop to try and sell it, and my husband was nice enough to point out the Sigma macro that I had overlooked....they seem to have a good price on it at $425 I am very tempted to go back and get it....

I did read something in a blog though, about it being "too shallow" of a DOF due to focal length. But I would think the extra focusing distance (15 inches vs 9) would even things out. So, I am wondering if this would be ideal for my water drop pictures or not. I would also likely use it as a portrait lens. Would a 105 be better?

I haven't even heard of this lens until this evening, but I am hoping one of you has some insight for me.

Thanks in advance!

Ps: does anyone have issues with the search function? I did search for sigma 150 macro before posting, and didn't get many hits. Now I see under "similar threads," lots to browse! Hmm...

Last edited:
A few years back I looked into the original model, the one before the Optical Stabilizer model...it was a very popular lens in Malaysia, for portrait/beauty work. I looked at hundreds of image samples from it--it is a beautiful imager...really lovely, lovely bokeh, and a nice focal length too. I would LOVE to have one. As far as macro DOF being too shallow due to focal length--that is misinformation....in macro work the MAGNIFICATION determines DOF, not focal length. It's fine. I had their 180 3/5 EX APO HSM for a few years...it was nice, but the 150mm macro really looked to me like a real gem. I think overrread has a 150 Sigma.

A few years back I looked into the original model, the one before the Optical Stabilizer model...it was a very popular lens in Malaysia, for portrait/beauty work. I looked at hundreds of image samples from it--it is a beautiful imager...really lovely, lovely bokeh, and a nice focal length too. I would LOVE to have one. As far as macro DOF being too shallow due to focal length--that is misinformation....in macro work the MAGNIFICATION determines DOF, not focal length. It's fine. I had their 180 3/5 EX APO HSM for a few years...it was nice, but the 150mm macro really looked to me like a real gem. I think overrread has a 150 Sigma.

Thanks Derrel! I was thinking that didn't make much sense. I am really impressed with the flickr group feed for this lens, though I don't see many portrait examples. They are supposed to call me back tomorrow with an offer on my lens (the guy wasn't working today) if they give me what she suggested they might, then I may splurge for the 70-300 and the macro!

Is it true @Overread? Do you have one?

I've got one, the version before the new one with the OS - actually it was the first true and proper macro lens I owned.

It's a great lens and would certainly do waterdrops without a problem; indeed with a longer focal length you'll get a nice working distance so that you won't get too much splash-back problems. With macro, as Derrel says, the magnification determines the depth of field so set to the same magnification a 35mm macro and a 150mm macro would have the same depth of field. What will change is that the shorter focal length will have a reduced amount of blurring of background details; whilst the longer will have an increased effect. The result is that sometimes a shorter focal length can appear to have more depth of field because the sharpness isn't falling into blur so quickly; but in truth that is a false assumption - indeed many love longer focal lengths specifically because they render backgrounds so readily into blur.

It's a great lens and I should use mine more often these days than I do (MPE 65mm kinda spoilt me ;)). I've not used the new one with OS and I'm not sure which you're looking at. The OS hasn't got as much a "cult" following; but from what I'm aware its just as good with the bonus of OS - and likely a slightly faster AF system.

AF won't be lightning fast with any macro lens and 3rd party ones tend to be a bit slower than own brand; that said using the focus limiting switch it can still do well and is more than capable (heck with the right method you can do action with it as well no problems).

If you want one go for it!

Working distance = distance from the front of the lens to the subject - different from minimum focusing distance which is from the sensor/film (inside the camera) to the subject. As you can see for most situations minimum focusing distance is all one needs to know; but for macro working distance becomes important because you'll be inches from your subject.

Thanks so much for your review @Overread! Based on price, I think I am looking at the older, non OS version but I am going to have to call and ask to be sure. I didn't know there was more than one version when I looked at it. I've been eyeing true macros for a while now, but I've also had the Nikon 135 f2 vc as a portrait lens on my wish list. Sounds like this might be a good middle of the road option for a while!

The idea of more fall off is actually pretty nice, since I usually add a bit of a "blurred vignette" to most of my water shots in post anyways. The lens I have been working (and cropping with) has a working distance of .5 meters so splashing hasn't been an issue. I tried my 1:2 macro on the 28-105 and it was a disaster. A longer working distance really sounds nice! Hmm!

Well, they gave me a good deal on the lens so it looks like I will soon be the owner of a 150 macro and a 70-300! They don't have the tamron in stock, so I won't get to pick it up until next week, but I am excited!

I tested my MPE 65mm macro - Sigma 70mm macro and Sigma 150mm macro against each other once. They all matched up very well against each other - the 70mm actually (from memory) proving to be one of the sharpest wide-open over the other two. But in all honesty the differences were small and after editing you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.

The price you found for this Sigma 150mm macro lens is really amazing. If it is as good as the Sigma 105mm macro, you won't regreat. Here my sample shots with the "Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro 1:1". I love it.
I'm pretty excited about it as well!! I'm gonna do a good look over before I take it home to be sure nothing is wrong because of the price, but the shop has 5 * on Google! yelp and Facebook reviews! and they have a 6 month warranty on their used lenses so I'm not too worried! The lady said it was priced so low because their telephotos without optical zoom just don't sell very fast.

I can't find a single bad review on this lens though, and the flickr feeds I've browsed are stunning. I can't find much portriat work done with it though, so that will have to be a surprise I guess! I am very excited. I wish the store were closer so I could justify am extra trip for each lens.

I honestly can't even seem to find this model used....perhaps that means people are holding onto it?!

I've seen it used for all things - heck one person I saw was using it almost exclusively for animals at the zoo

Most reactions

Back