Sigma 18-125

zioneffect564

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright well I just found the Sigma 18-125 f/3.5-5.6 DC for $180 from Cameta on ebay and I was just wondering if it was worth it. Here's my dilema all i have right now is the kit lens which is the 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 which either way i go its getting sold. So for my birthday I'm for sure getting the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM EX DG Macro and i was going to go with the Sigma/Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 and a Sigma 12-24 which IMO its a great setup but now they throw in the the other lens and i know its not going to be as sharp or fast but it kind of messes up my earlier plans but those plans were getting expensive. So after all that talk my main thing would be to have someone tell me what setup would be better or if i should stay with my first choice.

Thanks

Alright well I just found the Sigma 18-125 f/3.5-5.6 DC for $180 from Cameta on ebay and I was just wondering if it was worth it. Here's my dilema all i have right now is the kit lens which is the 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 which either way i go its getting sold. So for my birthday I'm for sure getting the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM EX DG Macro and i was going to go with the Sigma/Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 and a Sigma 12-24 which IMO its a great setup but now they throw in the the other lens and i know its not going to be as sharp or fast but it kind of messes up my earlier plans but those plans were getting expensive. So after all that talk my main thing would be to have someone tell me what setup would be better or if i should stay with my first choice.

Thanks

What are you asking here excatly? You kinda lost me there.I have the alpha and you can see the lenses in my signature.I can give you a little info on the ones I have used thus far and some of the ideas I have but I dont really know what your asking.

Not trying to be a smartass either BTW just trying to give you my 2 cents if ya want it.:D

IMO you'd be MUCH happier with the tamron 28-75 2.8 and the sigma 12-24 (although I think the 10-20 from sigma is a wiser choice...the reviews on the 12-24 are usually not very good). that'll cost you about $800 or so...which is really not that bad for the range you'll be getting...count in the fact that you'll have the 70-200, and you can consider that you're paying $800 for 3 lenses to make a well-rounded zoom setup.

i actually own the sigma 18-125...I bought it for a trip to russia i did last summer. i didn't want to bring expensive gear all over the place (we didn't go to the nicest of places) so i bought that for the trip. i'll be honest with you, i've never used it since. it's not a terrible lens, but it has quite a few downsides and i think you'd be dissapointed. it can be sharp if you stop it down, but it has some CA issues, really bad distortion at the ends of the zoom range, small max aperture (when compared to the tamron 2.8 mentioned before), and a very noisy and slow autofocus system. so i'd only get it if you absolutely had to and it would take you too long to get the other lenses.

also...i find it cool that all of the posters in this thread are from texas :)

also...i find it cool that all of the posters in this thread are from texas :)

I noticed that too when i was reading through..

And sorry firemedic i kind of went of in a tangent.

I was thinking that i wouldnt use the 18-125 as much as i wanted and i knew it wasnt going to be a great lens. Im pretty sure im going to stay with the tamron and then im going to try to go with the 10-20 is that what you would go with thebeggining?

not anymore they're not!

Most reactions

Back