Sigma 18-50

www.photozone.de might have a review on those. If your looking for a 18-55 type focal length, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is supposedly sharp as they come (apparently even sharper than the nikkor 18-55 f2.8 at $1100). I don't think the build quality is all that spectacular, but probably similar to the sigma. If build quality is an issue and you still want a third party lens, Tokina's professional lenses are built like tanks from what I hear.

The sigma lenses are good, but there are better on those ranges. As Antithesis said, look at the Tamron 17-50, it is tack sharp. The Tokina is well built, but seems pretty soft compared to the Tamron. The sigma is now offered with HSM, if that matters to you.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SG1850F28NA

Has anyone used this lens and if so what do you think of it?

I have the latest version of this lens (there are *3* versions of this lens out!). You want to stay away from ALL the 18-50s except the 18-50 DC EX HSM MACRO.

If this is the one you speak of, the Sigma with the HSM is awesome. I own this lens and it is very sharp. Matter of fact, it is so sharp, that it is sharper than the Nikkor 17-55 F/2.8 and the Sigma is 1/3rd the price!

You want to stay away from the version of this lens that is not the HSM version. The reason for that is that they had many copies of this lens leave the factory with massive front or rear focusing issues.

This is not an issue with my lens, and it gives me EXCELLENT pictures.

Focus test results:
1736399042_21d34099e1.jpg

Crop of pic at 100% of it's macro capabilities:
1555056044_1161e70955.jpg

A fun shot:
1878470628_475b9fb0ac.jpg

that 100% crop is pretty phenomenal. How solid is the build quality? I've never seen one of these first hand, is the lens barrel metal or plastic?

yup that's the one,
also consider, if you have time, the new Nikon 18-55 VR lens, just like the kit lens but with VR which will buy you up to 3 stops!

If you're $$$ tied, I'd lean towards the Nikon since everyone raves how it performs as a kit lens; I'd imagine with the addition of VR, it'll enhance it's abilities even more.

I haven't tried either of these, and am like you, still searching for a "macro" wide angle lesn. . .

Suneil

yup that's the one,
also consider, if you have time, the new Nikon 18-55 VR lens, just like the kit lens but with VR which will buy you up to 3 stops!

I had that lens on my camera yesterday... and let me tell you... its nowhere near the crispness, clarity or quality of output that the Sigma does (that Nikkor is not even a F/2.8!).

I sincerely feel that the Sigma 18-50 HSM is the best option available today (for now at least) for the Nikon people.

Three things that I do not like about my 18-50:
- The location of the focus ring. Takes a change in technique else the lens screams at you as you hold the ring by accident
- Stupid edge press lens cap, cannot take it off with a lens hood on (at least not easily).
- Direction of the zoom is backwards compared to Nikkor lenses

Absolutely NONE of these things detracts from the lens for me, though.

Oh, the macro magnification on this lens is not a 1:1 but rather a 3:1, but for me, to have a macro function on this lens is just another plus. A 1:1 macro would give me a greater magnification and if you have a greater focal length prime, then you could get a 1:1 magnification like with my Sigma 105mm macro F/2.8 prime like this for a farther distance:

1659376861_e9b00d8fce.jpg

Three things that I do not like about my 18-50:
.....- Direction of the zoom is backwards compared to Nikkor lenses

DOH!! So, in essense, I would be shooting like a Canon lens. I have got so used to turning right to zoom, now if I got the 18-50, I'd have to reverse it.

I migh just have to get used to it

~Michael~

that 100% crop is pretty phenomenal. How solid is the build quality? I've never seen one of these first hand, is the lens barrel metal or plastic?

Plastic, but honestly, it is VERY rugged. I've dropped it once from about 18 inches. Dinged the UV filter and cracked it (my niece droped it by accident). Had to replace it... the lens is 100%.

I have one too. The build quality is great. It may not be as much of a tank as the 17-55, but it definitely holds its own. Its small but hefty.

I've also been looking at the 24-70 2.8 from Sigma. Also seems like a great lens.

Did some test shots on my 400 at 18 and 24. A noticable difference, but something I might have to get used to. I would like to have 20 extra mm of reach....

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back