Sigma 28mm f1.8 or 30mm f1.4?

Which short prime lens would you buy?

• Total voters

hukim0531

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I find 50mm a bit too long so I'm considering either f2.8 compact zoom or shorter prime lens. I like low light capability and bokeh of large aperture prime lenses, so I'm thinking of buying either Sigma 30mm or 28mm instead of a short zoom. I see that 30mm is the more popular choice over 28mm. I love the shots others have taken with 30mm fully open at f1.4. When I see 28mm (Canon or Sigma) images others have taken, they don't look as dreamy or appealing. I like the short MFD in 28mm lens as well as compatibility to FF for my future upgrade. My question to you is, which lens would you vote for and why? Sigma 30mm, Sigma 28mm, or Canon 28mm? Looks like Adomara is the seller of choice for my Sigma lotto.

Steve

None of those lenses are sharp... the Canon is eh, and both Sigma's seriously struggle at the edges of the frame. I suppose it depends on what you're doing with them, but they all to me seem like a lot of money for soft lenses. I owned the Canon, and got rid of it because it never really excited me, but it does score much better than both of the Sigma's in resolution tests. That's a tough focal length to do cheaply at wide aperture... If you can't spring for an L-series prime, I'd probably recommend the Canon 35mm f/2.0 honestly.

None of those lenses are sharp... the Canon is eh, and both Sigma's seriously struggle at the edges of the frame. I suppose it depends on what you're doing with them, but they all to me seem like a lot of money for soft lenses. I owned the Canon, and got rid of it because it never really excited me, but it does score much better than both of the Sigma's in resolution tests. That's a tough focal length to do cheaply at wide aperture... If you can't spring for an L-series prime, I'd probably recommend the Canon 35mm f/2.0 honestly.

Thank you for your input. I would love to spring for L-series lens, but I'm just a hobbyist taking pictures of kids around the house. I'm not too concerned about the edge of frame sharpness (Also, wifey gave me max $500 budget). Sigma 30mm has some quality to it that I love that I just can't put my thumbs on. Pictures look plenty sharp to me when stopped down to 1.8-2.2.

Perhaps after 3 trials of Sigma lotto I'll get sick of it and order Canon 28mm or 35mm instead. Or, I can also send in Sigma along with my T2i to get it calibrated for free, so I may choose that path instead. This is the reason why I won't buy a used copy of Sigma... MA could have been chosen over calibration and I would never know until I receive the lens. Used lens will not come with free calibration. :(

I don't know if the Sigma 28mm you specified is the same as mine (a slightly older model 28mm 1.8), but I like mine a lot. I use it full frame 5Dmk2, previously used it on a 40d as well. To be honest it did nothing for me on the 40d, but as soon as I put it on the 5d I loved it. It's not perfect by any means and it's a pretty big heavy lens too, so unless you're planning on definitely upgrading to full frame in the future I'd probably go the smaller and brighter 30mm 1.4.

I thought the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 was supposed to be a pretty cool lens...the pictures I have seen from it look cool...it was "all the rage" a few years back. Isn't Canon's 35mm f/2 just as crappy a lens as Nikon's 35mm f/2 AF-D??? I mean, both of those are kind of what I call "placeholders"...I own the 35/2 AF-D and it is simply "marginal"...and the Canon's pictures are only so-so from what I've seen...

That's why I say it depends on the intent. For kids around the house, the Sigma 30 may in fact be better. The bokeh and low light performance in that situation will be more important than ultimate sharpness. The Canon 35mm f/2 is optically quite clean, but has poor build quality and old style geared focusing motor. I like to shoot a lot of landscape and bits of the forest and that sort of thing with all my lenses, so that's why I lean toward the sharpness of the Canon. The images from the Sigma do have a nice feel and it would probably be good for shooting people, where the "attitude" of the lens is more important than it's accuracy.

"I don't know if the Sigma 28mm you specified is the same as mine (a slightly older model 28mm 1.8), but I like mine a lot. I use it full frame 5Dmk2, previously used it on a 40d as well. To be honest it did nothing for me on the 40d, but as soon as I put it on the 5d I loved it. It's not perfect by any means and it's a pretty big heavy lens too, so unless you're planning on definitely upgrading to full frame in the future I'd probably go the smaller and brighter 30mm 1.4."

I frequent POTN forum and one of the member mentioned that L lenses are wasted on crop cameras (many members were furious over this comment). I guess there is some wisdom in what he/she is saying here. A lens designed specifically designed for FF will really start to shine when it meets a FF camera. Of course that's not to say it will look bad on a crop sensor, but just better on FF. Perhaps that is why images from 30mm look so much more appealing than 28mm on crop... Because it's designed for a crop sensor.

I think it's just a case of perspective, 28mm on a crop sensor is just a very unexciting perspective, but it's a fun amount of wide-angleness of full frame, without the crazy amounts of distortion you'd get from a 12mm lens on a crop sensor.

Looks like pole is evenly split between Siggy 30mm and Canon 28mm. I wish there was more participation. Other than this Sigma lotto (front/back focusing issue) many complain about, I'm pretty determined Sigma 30mm is my lens of choice. The question was then which vendor do I purchase it from? In terms of standing behind their product and hassle free return, Amazon, Adorama and BHphoto were the 3 most suggested candidates. They all say Amazon is by far the best. I wish Amazon was the seller behind the Sigma 30mm, but instead, 47th Street Photo - a 3rd party vendor was the seller. 47th Street Photo's ResellerRating was not good, so my choice is between Adorama and BHphoto. Responses I got from this POTN forum Best/Easiest Lens return policy - Canon Digital Photography Forums cemented my decision. Adorama will actually pair their Sigma lens with a camera model that you have prior to shipping out the lens, so that you are more likely to get a good copy. I'm patiently awaiting a call from the marketing person so that we can get the transaction rolling. The website says it's currently in the back order... I hope I don't have to wait too long!

Well, the Sigma 30mm is my favorite lens. It's not unsharp generally but you have to be a bit lucky to get a sharp one. Alright, i have to admit: if you shoot at 1.4, it kinda looks like a slightly soft focus but you can work against that with the simplest sharping-methodes in Photoshop. All in all i love this lens and mine seems to be a "sharp" one, all these photos are taken with this lens:
30mm <3 - a set on Flickr
(so i really can't say it's bad)

Well, the Sigma 30mm is my favorite lens. It's not unsharp generally but you have to be a bit lucky to get a sharp one. Alright, i have to admit: if you shoot at 1.4, it kinda looks like a slightly soft focus but you can work against that with the simplest sharping-methodes in Photoshop. All in all i love this lens and mine seems to be a "sharp" one, all these photos are taken with this lens:

Your pictures show just why I picked this lens over the other choices. The bokeh is so deliciously creamy... it's to die for!

Thank you Chris for such inspiration. Your pictures with Sigma 30mm are truly amazing. I ordered my lens via Amazon.com. It's scheduled to arrive here tomorrow. I am so excited! I have my fingers crossed that I will get a good copy. Amazon has the best return policy, but even so, I don't wish to deal with the hassle. Wish me luck!

Christopher_Wesser said:

What a nice pictures! Thanks for sharing! Btw, may i ask a quick question? all pic are No PS all original? Thank you :)

Christopher_Wesser said:

What a nice pictures! Thanks for sharing! Btw, may i ask a quick question? all pic are No PS all original? Thank you :)

I am also curious if his shots are SOOC or post processed. He did mention that a little sharpening was done because pictures are soft when shot wide open. But photography is his work. I don't think he will willingly diverge his secrets! LOL

Severe severe front focusing problem on Sigma 30mm from Amazon.:( I was hoping I would get lucky on first try, but no such luck. Colors and contrast look fantastic, however, 30mm front focusing is not acceptable. Used two different focusing test chart, both show same result. The lens is going back to Amazon straight away tomorrow. I have a feeling that this is NOT a new lens, but a newly returned lens. I'm sure the 2nd time they will ship a fresh batch just to save on shipping cost. Fingers crossed here...

$IMG_4432 copy.jpg$IMG_4434.JPG

Most reactions

Back