New Lens for Canon 700d - Confused is an Understatement!

GSheehan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

My first time posting here but thanks in advance for the advice.

I currently have a Canon 700d with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm as well. I want to upgrade my kit lens to something wider but that will also give me vastly sharper images. I know the APS-C sensor is a limitation for the time being but I will hopefully be upgrading to FF in the next year or so, so I am keeping that in mind with any potential upgrades. I shoot mainly landscape photos so the wider end of a zoom is more important to me. I also hope to use this lens for video but that will be a secondary requirement and verged me towards lenses with IS.

I've been trawling through reviews and forums for weeks now and have finally decided to ask. I had my heart set on the Canon 16-35 f4L IS but that has now been thrown to the side for either a Canon 17-55 f2.8 (which I would have to replace if upgrading to FF) or the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 (would also have to replace this). I've also looked at the 15-30mm Tamron VC but the weight has pushed me away from that even though it ticks every other box. If it wasn't as heavy or there was a very similar lens that didn't have the weight, I'd jump at it.

I sort of have my mind set on getting really wide landscape photos and this has then thrown me to consider the Canon 10-22 which I would also have to upgrade if replacing.

I guess my questions are 1. Would the F4 16-35mm cover all my bases for now and the future or would the lack of f2.8 affect possible low light video in the future?
2. Am I better to go with the 16-35 and buy a fast prime down he line for video and low light?
3. Am I crazy spending 800 euro on a lens with my current camera body? Would I get better results with an upgraded body and then a minor lens upgrade?

Thanks in advance. This will be my first really big upgrade in the DSLR world and I am limited to about 800 euro so I don't want to make a mistake!

Look into a tokina 11-16 f2.8. Don't worry about fullframe. You have not even touched on your cameras ability with existing lenses. If you buy tokina second hand, you'll get almost the same if you ever decide to go fullframe and sell it on

I'll answer #3. You are not crazy spending money on quality fast glass before upgrading the camera body. Actually you are doing what I have seen being suggested here and other sites by getting the glass first. Quality fast glass will make a difference.

It's always nice to have the f/2.8 or better glass but for a lot of people the f/4 will work good for them.

Look into a tokina 11-16 f2.8. Don't worry about fullframe. You have not even touched on your cameras ability with existing lenses. If you buy tokina second hand, you'll get almost the same if you ever decide to go fullframe and sell it on

How is the Tokina in terms of sharpness? I've seen a lot of reviews online that said it wasn't great but then again some that said it's amazing.

I'll answer #3. You are not crazy spending money on quality fast glass before upgrading the camera body. Actually you are doing what I have seen being suggested here and other sites by getting the glass first. Quality fast glass will make a difference.

It's always nice to have the f/2.8 or better glass but for a lot of people the f/4 will work good for them.

Thanks for the reply. I think the toss up between f2.8 and f4 is my main problem. I'd be hoping that this lens upgrade will be as much of a wide to medium "do it all" lens as possible and I'm afraid if I get f4, I'll get into a situation in a few months and be kicking myself for not getting f2.8. I can always bump up the ISO I guess.

The tokina is a good lens. Look for pictures on Flickr or juzaphoto. Don't believe everything the net says. The majority of stuff you can buy now is good to very good. That 700d would have been a dream camera not long ago, it's very capable and can do great images. Is that surname Irish by any chance?

If you can get the 2.8 for then get it, you won't regret it. If you can't, then get the f/4. A constant aperture at f/4 is still better than the variable ones.

If you are shooting landscape or astro with it, the body will be on a tripod anyway, so either should be fine.

Understand that a wide angle lens designed for APS-C format will have to be replaced if and when you move to a full frame body. The reason is that the image circle won't be big enough to cover the larger sensor.

Not sure about the Sigma or the Tameron but the Canon L glass is a FF lens so there will be no problems. (I kind of suspect that the other two are FF as well.)

Not sure about the Sigma or the Tameron but the Canon L glass is a FF lens so there will be no problems. (I kind of suspect that the other two are FF as well.)

The Tamron is FF but the Sigma is not which is yet another thing I'll have to consider!

Thanks for the reply. I think the toss up between f2.8 and f4 is my main problem. I'd be hoping that this lens upgrade will be as much of a wide to medium "do it all" lens as possible and I'm afraid if I get f4, I'll get into a situation in a few months and be kicking myself for not getting f2.8. I can always bump up the ISO I guess.
"Do it all lens" and sharp is an oxymoron. You have to decide, do you want sharp or convenience?

Something else to consider that many landscape photographers don't think about.

Why you Need a Telephoto Zoom Lens for Landscape Photography

Using Telephoto Lenses for Landscape Photography

OK I think I'm convinced now that the Canon 16-35 f4L is what I'll get!

I already have a telephoto zoom (although not a great one) so not looking to upgrade that just yet. Going to start with the range I use the most!

Got my 16-35 f4L today and it's great. Really sturdy and can't wait to get it out more.

One thing I've noticed which has me worried is a noise the lens is making when I have manual focus on and slightly depress the shutter button. It sounds like a motor but a lot crunchier and not smooth. The focus distance doesn't change or anything when it makes the noise and it is a much harsher sound than what is made when auto focus locks onto something and adjusts the focus.

This is my first L lens so not sure if this is a normal occurrence and it's just a motor internally or should I be worried? It's quite loud.

I see online that it's probably the IS motor which makes sense. Not used to a lens making this much noise. Should it be quite audible in a new lens or should I be worried?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back