Sigma 50mm F/1.4

JerryPH

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just picked up my Sigma 50... and the fast answer is... wow!

A lot of Canon people are getting issues with proper focus on their units and the odd Nikon, but I swear, I must have a horse shoe up somewhere, because mine is incredible out of the box.

3718065305_e37a4778fa.jpg

3720218917_b9949146bb.jpg

3718050185_ee3d7bd51e.jpg

Like every new lens, it takes some getting used to before getting the best out of it, especially watching the focus points and razor thin DOF at F/1.4.

I think that this is a prime that I am going to enjoy playing with!

Oh... I cannot recall who off the top of my head, but someone wanted me to do a few specific kinds of tests with it. Now is the time to ask. :)

Last edited:
I'm super craving this lens....even to the point of considering selling my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 to get one.....so far I'm resisting the urge, but posts like these are making it harder....much harder.

Oh...and what "kinda-sorta amateur" Nikon was this shot with?

Oh...and what "kinda-sorta amateur" Nikon was this shot with?

lol... a D700. And you know what they say... resistance is futile. :lol:

Lol....okay, well I'm just going to sit here and try to convince myself that it wouldn't look nearly as nice on my D90 (even though it would still probably look incredible)....but that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.....for a day or two at least.

I had one and couldn't get a sharp shot with it, glad to see you got a good copy!

Are you a Canon user and does the model of Canon that you have not have the ability to fine tune the AF? I know the 5dmkII can do this and according to what I have read, makes all the difference in the world.

Nikon users, for some reason, are way less affected than Canon users, but it does happen now and then. Even if it did, the D700 is luckily one of those cameras that has AF fine tune abilities for up to 12 individual lenses and the settings are memorized and retained when lenses are changed.

Nice shots. I have the Canon 50Mm 1.4 and have been VERY happy with it. I noticed the Sigma is about $100 more than the Canon. I have really not read much about it.

I had it with a Nikon (D40 and D80).

Are we talking the same lens? This is an FX lens and came out only a couple of months ago. Here is the one I have, it is huge and uses a 77mm filters.

Yep, that's the one... big sucker! :lol: I got mine shortly after Christmas if I remember right, (right after it came out). It has the HSM so the D40 could auto focus with it, worked fine just wasn't a sharp copy. I had a guy (pro photographer) try it on his D300, same results there as well.

I'm sorry it did not work out for you. :(

It would have been interesting to see how your D300 friend liked the lens after dialing in the AF fine tune... his camera has this feature, I think.

I requested doing certain shots Jerry.

Lets hit that lens right in the breadbasket! I want an outdoor shot slightly backlit high contrast scene....oh, and wide open. (looking for CA)

Another I would like to see is to shoot a subject (anything person sized) about 10 ft (subject to background distance) from some nice green foliage. (leaves preferably) Focus on subject at around f/4 to f/5.6. I want to see the out of focus background quality in this manner.

If you cannot tell, I am looking at this lens for outdoor portraiture. So far the Canon 1.4 has been fantastic, but I would love to fool around with lens. Since I cannot, let me fool around with yours vicariously. LOL

Did you do any micro-adjustment? My 5DII has it, but every lens I own was spot on.

I went back and looked... I finally found the post, but you beat me to it. :D

If you cannot tell, I am looking at this lens for outdoor portraiture. So far the Canon 1.4 has been fantastic, but I would love to fool around with lens. Since I cannot, let me fool around with yours vicariously. LOL
LOL... This is one of the things that I will be using it for... indoor, low light, wedding situations, meaning, portrait situations.

Did you do any micro-adjustment? My 5DII has it, but every lens I own was spot on.

Though my camera has the ability to fine tune focus, it is untouched. I am going to verify that it is focusing by doing a couple of fast tests and let you know if I made any changes. Yesterday, I just put it on the camera, took about 10 shots, came inside and had to return to work. After a late lunch I put 3-4 pictures on my flickr account and was so happy that I saw good results at minimum focus distances and up at F/1.4 that I posted here about it.

Another I would like to see is to shoot a subject (anything person sized) about 10 ft (subject to background distance) from some nice green foliage. (leaves preferably) Focus on subject at around f/4 to f/5.6. I want to see the out of focus background quality in this manner.
Ok subject to background around 10 feet... and any particular camera to subject distance? This will decide how much background blur you will get. The closer to the subject, the greater the blur (as I am sure you know). :)

I'll get back to you today with the test shots, barring any client emergencies. :)

Last edited:
I went back and looked... I finally found the post, but you beat me to it. :D

LOL... This is one of the things that I will be using it for... indoor, low light, wedding situations, meaning, portrait situations.

Though my camera has the ability to fine tune focus, it is untouched. I am going to verify that it is focusing by doing a couple of fast tests and let you know if I made any changes. Yesterday, I just put it on the camera, took about 10 shots, came inside and had to return to work. After a late lunch I put 3-4 pictures on my flickr account and was so happy that I saw good results at minimum focus distances and up at F/1.4 that I posted here about it.

Ok subject to background around 10 feet... and any particular camera to subject distance? This will decide how much background blur you will get. The closer to the subject, the greater the blur (as I am sure you know). :)

I'll get back to you today with the test shots, barring any client emergencies. :)

Yes I know about camera to subject distance. Since you asked, give me two frames. One at a distance that would properly frame a full body in portrait orientation and one in landscape orientation that would properly frame a subject seated on either edge of the frame with knees bent. Legs parallel to sensor, face facing the camera. LOL Think senior portraiture. I don't need exact distances. We both shoot full frame 50mm. Proper framing will be close enough. Oh, and make it a blonde. LOL

Most reactions

Back