Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Auto Focus Macro Lens

ChrisJuliano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys I have some cash now, and want alot of things.

http://www.adorama.com/SG5028DNKAF.html

So I am want the most for my money, and was looking into purchasing a macro lens, and when I heard this is very good for landscape I fell in love.

I only shoot macro and landscape pretty much, so the lens itself seems to be perfect, price range is perfect. But my question is, how much of a upgrade is this over the stock nikon d40 lens?

What would the quality difference be build wise, investment wise, performance, and whatever else you can think of.

Help appreciated.

I have the lens and it works well. It takes great macro pictures. The color and contrast are good as well. The only thing that I do not like about it is that it hunts and hunts and hunts if I have it on AF. For $280 it is a pretty decent lens. I have a 50 1.8 and use that for standard shooting and only use the Sigma for macro stuff.

at 50mm on a dx sensor it reaches 75mm, surely not what you want for landscapes. for landscapes i suggest sticking with the kit lens, it works wonders for me at 18mm (27 eq) regardless of the geometrical and chromatic aberrations.

this lens won't autofocus on your camera but than again for macro you don't really need it to. i think it would be a lot easier to do macro with a 80mm or 100mm

from what I have read the sigma 50mm is the buget true macro prime of its series - and as such is a little weaker in build and overall quality when compared to the rest of the series (70mm, 105mm, 150mm, 180mm).
Of the lot I would say if insects are your aim you want at least 100mm focal length to get the longer working distance (distance from camera to insect) so as you have less chance of spooking the insect. A shorter focal length prime in not impossible to use by any means, but it is a harder line of work.
Further the 150mm is the longest handholdable lens - the 180mm is just a littel too heavy for prolonged handheld use, a very good tripod lens and on par in image quality with the canon 180mm L.

Droyz - when doing macro turn the AF off and focus manually, there is generall not enough light and also too much chance for hunting (which is what you are gettiing) with macro work. Instead when the lens is in manual focus mode look at the focusing wheel and you will see a list of markers - 1:1, 1:2 etc - this is the magnification factor of that focus point - and true macro is at 1:1.
So you set your macro lens to 1:1 and then you fund a bug = you then move the camera and lens back and forth to attain the focus on the subject rather than moving the focusing wheel - thus when you press the shutter you get a 1:1 macro shot - good for most insects, though larger butterflies and dragonflies tend to work better at large magnifications such as 1:2 since you cannot always get the whole bug into 1:1 (though this canbe good for portrate head shots ;))

Thanks for the help, Actually insects and landscape usually is what I take pics of.

And why wont it auto focus?

Edit: Fast resposnes are extremely appreciated, I would like to purchase tonight.

Last edited:
Alright normally I wouldnt do this, but I honestly need answers fast so I can order.

Also, do you guys think the IR wireless shutter release is worth $7? What are senarios (sp?) I would find it very usefull for?

A friend of mine has one, i'll ask him for a review.

Lol thanks for the spam, I honestly encourage spam right now so atleast the thread gets more active, this is probably the only thread I ever in my entire life of forums had to do this, out of thousands of threads :/

Please help.

Well I kinda know nothing about lens (literally nothing, besides the 50mm I understand that). And reviews wont tell me much besides how good macro it can take.

I want to know if I could forget about it and go for a 100mm macro since I mainly shoot bugs? I have to stay under $300.

Also I want to know if that shutter release remote is worth $7, when is it important or usefull to use them if I shoot macro (bugs) and landscape?

Also I would like to know if that lens would work decently for landscape?

The shutter release remote is worth $7. The lens is sharp and is very clear. It produces pretty good color considering the price. Like I said, it just not that quick with AF.

Most reactions

Back