Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Auto Focus Macro Lens

If you like to shoot bugs, get the 105mm. It gives you more working distance. Landscapes are a moot point when considering a 50 or 105mm lens. The 105mm is a lens you will love. Order the darn thing and get to shootin!

Derrick

The basic difference between the 105 and the 50mm is the working distance.

With the 50mm you have to get an inch or two from the subject to get the macro super-close-up look. With the 105mm you can be about 1 foot away for basically the same look. This is better if you're using natural light and/or don't want to scare the bugs away. ;)

The 50mm is much MUCH better for landscapes than the 105mm. 105mm is probably just too long for most landscape shots. I actually like 24 to 35 somewhere for landscapes but 50mm will work.

Well I kinda know nothing about lens (literally nothing, besides the 50mm I understand that). And reviews wont tell me much besides how good macro it can take.

No they will tell you how the lens performs for many aspects - not just macro. Besides if you read them and look up the few words you aren't familiar with you'll learn pretty much everything you need to know. Then the next time (as well as this time!) you won't have to take someone's (probably wrong) opinion on it. :D

I think getting a good macro and landscape lens in one is going to have to be either a compromise or going for one over the other;
The 50mm macro is the most suited of the lot for landscape, but provides a much harder macro lens to use for insects; whilst the 105mm is really too long for most landscape work and yet is a much better macro lens.
There is the 70mm which might meet you sort of half way, but this is just too long for landscape work - especially on a crop sensor (belive me I spent a week in Yorkshire with 70mm as my shortest focal length and you just can't do most landscape work with it unless you can stop for panorama shots at every spot.)

The only lens that sigma make that would do macro and landscape is the 17-70mm macro
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/dclenses/17-70mm.htm
however this is a compromise - firstly no DX, its not a top of their line model; secondly its a zoom and not a prime, thirdly (and most importantly) its only a 1:2 macro which means you will not be able to get as great a magnification of the bugs are you would with a proper macro prime lens (which are 1:1). This means its not a true macro, but more a close focusing zoom lens.
It will do landscape and macro, but you are making a big compromise to get both in a single lens. Myself I would advice picking either macro or landscape work and going for a single lens that will do each - might mean you have to wait and save for one, but it does mean that when you order them you get a good quality lens that will deliver the right results, rather than a lens that only meets you half way for either

Alright thanks, sorry about bumping my own thread, but you all know how buying a first lens is and stuff, I want it asap and it I could of had it in the mail already :O

But yeah ordered the 105mm, good convincing :p

Hopefully shots will pay off with the extra I spent.

Wow haha I think I might actually get banned for all these double posts :[

But I dont feel the need to make a new thread.

New question, how do I use paypal on sigma for less website? I go to payment options and I dont see paypal, but a icon showing paypal is allowed is off to the left.

Nah, don't worry about it. It's all good. The OPS here even condone bumping threads if you think you need to.

Sorry, I dunno about PayPal in the USA...

Thanks alot, awesome now hopefully people dont think I do this all the time haha.

Just think back to when you were 15-18 and you were getting ready to purchase something thats a big purchase :p I would pay next day shipping if it wasnt so costly.

And thats ok even if you dont know about paypal atleast you respond, I enjoy responses :p

No more help needed, lens purchased.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back