SIGMA 70-200 2.8 vs Canon 70-200 2.8 IS

sinjans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What does everyone think of these two lenses? Is Canon worth the price? Pros an cons pawleeze. I have been dying for the canon for a while now and wondering will i stay pleased with the sigma.

It is hard to say if it worth the price or not since it varies from person to person. However, you can take a look at this article which compares the Canon with the Sigma and the Tamron version.

Juza Nature Photography

This review might interest you:
Juza Nature Photography

The big part I notice is that the Sigma has no OS (optical stabalization - IS in canon talk) which can be well worth having for when your shooting at the 200mm end and in less than ideal lighting whilst handholding.

I also have a 70-200mm f2.8 IS L but I never compared it to a sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Edit - Darn it Dao!!!!!!!

I think it really comes down to the cost of the lens and whether you are going to use it a lot of time.

I look at the photos I took in the past, most of them were taken with focal length shorter than 100mm. Occasionally, I will use my EF 70-300mm IS lens especially when I went to the zoo. But I really do not use the longer range telephoto lens enough to justify the cost of a 70-200mm IS lens.

But of course, your miles may vary.

For its price point, the sigma 70-200 is an excellent lens in both construction and optical ability. I use it professionally for everything from sports to portraits and it's capable.

It's not an 2.8 L-IS, it's about 85-90% of the L non-IS in terms of IQ.

It's also very heavy, but so is the 2.8L IS.

I would get the Canon with IS. For a telephone zoom IS is handy to have! If you can't afford the 2.8L get the 4.0L, either way with IS. Canon is having a rebate until Jan 15th. $150 instant rebate for the 70-200 2.8L IS and $75 rebate for the 70-200 4.0L IS.

Yeah i would'nt have bothered starting this thread if i knew the sigma would'nt stabilize images. I guess now its between the canon 2.8 vs 4.0 both with IS. Man i need more money

That's what I usually say about the top Sigma/Tamron lenses. They are 85-90% as good as the similar Canon/Nikon lenses...but at half the price.
So is that extra 10-15% in quality, worth the extra cost? To some people yes, to others it's not.
A lot of it is just the mental aspect of knowing that you have the best one which means you don't have to wonder if you could have gotten a better shot, if only you had bought the better lens.
That was, at least, part of my justification for getting the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS.

That's what I usually say about the top Sigma/Tamron lenses. They are 85-90% as good as the similar Canon/Nikon lenses...but at half the price.
So is that extra 10-15% in quality, worth the extra cost? To some people yes, to others it's not.
A lot of it is just the mental aspect of knowing that you have the best one which means you don't have to wonder if you could have gotten a better shot, if only you had bought the better lens.
That was, at least, part of my justification for getting the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS.

I like that Big Mike. Right on the money

Most reactions

Back