Sigma Bigma Heron

MyCameraEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mycameraeye.com
This was one of my earlier (first) shots I took when I got my sigma 50-500mm lens back in November. I have not used the lens much since and can not wait for the spring birds to some out so I can put this lens to some more use. I shoot this off a monopod.

20051128153529_heron.jpg

He is all natural, isn't he?
Right.
Sounds like the Landscape and Nature Forum is the perfect host for him.

It would have been nice if he had room to look into ... so my only nitpick about this one is the framing you went for. Other than that: sweet light. Great focus and DOF. I really like herons very much!

Fly off to Landscape and Nature now...

This guy was on my mother-in-laws pier. They are a very scittish bird and do not let you get near them at all. I shot this shot about 10 times from different distances as I worked my way closer to him to I could fill the whole frame at 500mm. This being the 2nd to last position I shot from was nearly 75 yards away from him and also on an elevation. It was tough to get him. I have seen these birds down in DC as well around the tidal basin and they will almost walk right up to you there because they are used to people moving around them so perhaps you will have your shot at once when you come here in April.

Scott

Something to look forward to. I know there's a heron living somewhere by the river along the road to "Pool Town", and he sometimes sits on the meadow right by the side of the road and waits... but it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to stop on that stretch of road, get out and take a photo. You just can NOT stop your car there. Dang...!

Bird photography in my opinion is one of the most difficult types of photography out there in my opinion along with sports photography. It's very expensive to get into for one but also extremely challenging. I read a lot of bird books and try to learn about their habitat and feeding habbits. These guys feed mosty in early morning and evening at dusk. If you scan the edges of the tidal basin right after sun sets, I'm sure you will see one of these guys. One night whern JoCose and I were shooting the monument in DC, a Heron walked right up to us. I have to dig that shot up.

I'll have to dig that picture up for you and post it though it's not very impressive. I was not prepared and lighting was poor.

Hi

this is a very good pic..sharp, nice color, contrast and light. If only the bird were positioned to the left or center of the pic instead of the current right side....

Most reactions

Back