Sigma introduces world's ugliest mirrorless

I don't think it looks too bad. After all a camera is a tool right? Who cares what it looks like if it gets the job done.

It's actually somewhat refreshing to see a manufacturer try somethign other than "this is how we designed them in 1940, so this is how they are designed today"

Hasselblad seem to be the only company that's actaully thinking about ergonomics, and not how to make it look "retro" or just not bothering resigning the same thing they've used since 2007 when they made their first DSLR.

Honestly though, if it wasnt for the pointless notch on the grip on this Sigma body, it would look just like all the rest, but at least Sigma thought about designing an unstable body that will constantly fall over instead of just sitting flat on a surface...

I don't know. I don't think it's any uglier than any other camera. They're all just small black boxes with a lens in some form or other.

With the lens attached I like the look of it.

I do kind of want one. It's so funky. Curious how it will be priced. I've always liked the idea of Foveon ... I'm a little worried about the flange distance, however. That weird "Omega nose" makes me think it will be pretty long.

oh i see theres a drop down menu.. but weird i do not see the Nikon d7100

Excellent: there is a battery grip.

See for example: More on the new Sigma sd Quattro mirrorless cameras | Photo Rumors

Flange/film distance is 44.00 mm on the Sigma SA mount according to this chart Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, yeah...another bone-headed engineering and marketing decision, to make an impressive mirrorless camera series, with two different models, with different sensor size options, and then to go ahead and make it on a long flange focal distance mount and pretty much ensure that the body would be useless with most 35mm system lenses with simple adapters. On the other hand, this ought to work easily with all of the medium-format system lenses, which have flange focal lengths in the 60 and 70 mm range, up to 111mm for the Mamiya RB67 mount. Still though...that means a hefty FOV factor that will make even the widest of wide-angle lenses for medium format a fairly narrow-angle lens. A Hasselblad 50mm wide-angle would be 68mm e-FOV on the H-model, and that's pretty narrow in view.

It's almost as if Sigma wants this thing to be no more than a very marginal seller; the flange focal distance of the other mirrorless camera brands is quite short, and 35mm legacy and medium format mounts are all wayyyyyy longer than the typical mirrorless brands use-- which is the characteristic that allows the several mirrorless camera brands to use adapted lenses from other camera brands (m42,Nikon F,Canon FD, Leica,etc) with no need for glass in the adapter ring.

The camera looks okay with a larger zoom lens mounted on it, as shown in the Photo Rumors site's camera show photos of the camera, both held in the hands, and also on display both with and without a lens. But that Sigma SA mount on the front of the box...man...,

Last edited:
Foveon was Sigma's best investment, and they TOTALLY flubbed it - and continue to flub it.

They should have licensed out the sensor from the start.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back