My money would be on the Canon 400/2.8 over either a Sigma or Tamron of comparable specification. I'm not really sure these days what Sigma or Tamron have in the 400mm range; Tamron used to make a 400mm f/3.5 manual focusing lens with internal focusing in the Adaptall-II mount. I know Sigma and Tamron both currently manufacture 300mm f/2.8 lenses, which I have not owned. In the 1980's I owned a Tamron 30mm f/2.8 SP Adaptall-II lens with matching 1.4x converter designed expressly for that lens--it was quite good, but not as good as a Nikon of Canon 300/2.8.
How much money are you thinking? Canon EF 400/2.8 lenses are available used for around $3,250 in walk-in stores across the USA (not at the "big" web sites),which to me seems like a good deal.
IS is nice for many things; I think it's helpful, but it doesn't stop subject motion blur,so shutter speeds needed to freeze moving subjects are still the same, but stabilization does allow you to pan steadily at slower speeds than possible by hand. If you are going to be shooting slow-moving subjects or larger animals, I'd consider an older Nikon 300/2.8 AiS + Canon adapter for $900 as a decent option, or the Tamron 400/3.5 or Nikon 400 f/3.5 ED-IF for around $1000 as another option. Both of those lenses are easy to focus by hand and eye outdoors. The Nikon is particularly interesting, since a very good,matching TC-300 or TC-301 is available, and it converts the 400/3.5 to an 800mm with a quality level that is unmatched by most other prime lens + TC converter combos, since the lens and converter were designed with one another in mind a number of years ago.
You might be amazed at how the old-style Internal Focusing 300 and 400mm manual focusing lenses actually focus--better, and easier than AF lenses do in when flipped to manual focusing mode. I know you're a relatively new d-slr shooter, so do a bit of research to find out more as needed--we're talking about 7 to 13 pound lenses, roughly...