Sigma vs Nikon glass. Direct comparison.

So you take one of Nikon's weakest lenses (the non-vr 70-300) and put it against one of Sigma's sharpest lenses (the Sigma 105 macro). What did you expect. Go get a Sigma 70-300 non-apo and put it against a Nikon 300mm f2.8 and see what the results are. The results will be you find that you have an apple and an orange...just like in your test.

Sigma 70-300 APO versus the Nikon 70-300G or the Sigma 105 vs Nikon 105 would make sense...but it wouldn't make much sense if I compare a Sigma 50mm f1.4, a Tamron 200-500, and a Nikon 18-135.....so I guess I just don't see what this test is supposed to show..?

I wonder how a pro grade f2.8 prime nikkor would compare to a mid-grade sigma zoom. ;)

Poor brand comparison, as brand is the most minor difference between these lenses.

I actually did compare the sigma 70-200 f2.8 and the nikkor 70-200 f2.8 when I was looking to buy one.

I shot about 1000 images with each, mixing up when I shot the images. I shot test charts and real world images and than chose my favourites based on sharpness, contrast, flare and other determining. The lens with the most favourites was the one I chose. The nikon had phenomenal build quality, but I found the zoom on the sigma to have a better feel, not as smooth, but more tactile. The sigma is also lighter, that is a huge difference for me as on wedding day I carry my 70-200 for 14-16 hours.

My shots at f2.8 I could not tell the difference between the sigma and the nikkor. At f4-5.6 the nikkor looked a little sharper. I found the sigma to have a warmer cast, but that was a plus for me as I prefer warm images.
In the end out of like 2000 shots I had 300 I really liked of the Sigma. I had about 300 of the Nikkor too.
So one didn't really stand out. It came down to VR or no VR. I chose the lens without. With the additional 2 year warranty I purchased on top of the 5 year the sigma came with it brought my cost up to 1200$ CDN. It really came down to weight, and the lack of VR.

Sigh.. a sigma 70-200 f2.8 is not a "mid-grade" sigma zoom, and a nikon 70-200mm f2.8 is not a prime.

The comparison you describe here is worthwhile, your initial comparison is not.

Most reactions

Back