silly question

kimbie05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i have a silly question and i feel i should know this, but i dont! what is the thing called that you can put on your lens... it doesnt COVER the lens like a filter would, but it just surrounds the lens. it sticks out from the lens about 3 or so inches, and when you dont want to use it, you can screw it on your lens the other way so it's not sticking out.

hope that made sense.

just wondering what those things are called and what they're for. lens flare or something to that effect? i really have no idea.

i was a photo major in school, yet i cant even seem to explain things like that. i feel silly, but i thought you guys could help. also, i'm in the market for a new digital camera, and i've been eyeing the nikon d70. anyone have it and what do you think??

oh, and if you do know about the nikon d70, can anyone reccommend something that is a higher megapixel (6 or so) that they love but isnt in the 1000 dollar range?

Sounds like a lens shade or hood.

Also, don't think that the number of mega pixels recored by a camera is the best way to judge quality. The D70 or Digital Rebel (both 6MP) will vastly outperform any compact digital camera...even an 8MP one. The reason is that the D70 & D Rebel have much bigger sensors than the smaller cameras.

kimbie05 said:
oh, and if you do know about the nikon d70, can anyone reccommend something that is a higher megapixel (6 or so) that they love but isnt in the 1000 dollar range?
Don't be mis-led into thinking higher pixel-counts will automatically get you better photographs: that's not the case. You can get digital-compacts much cheaper than the D70 with higher pixel-counts than 6 megapixel, such as the 7-megapixel Sony DSC-P150 which you can get on your side of the pond for around $420 or less, but I bet the ultimate picture quality wouldn't be a patch on a decent 6-megapixel DSLR with a top-notch lens.

Id say its a lens hood, and yes it does prevent lens flare.

As for me, Id suggest the Cannon Digital Rebel, ive got one...and I love it.

John Orrell said:
Sorry Mike...we posted essentially the same reply 1 minute apart :D

Great minds think alike... :roll:

I'm a (semi)retired professional.... I have a Nikon D70 and am extremely impressed with it's ease of use and versatility.

Good Luck!!

If you're willing to spend close to a grand, try the Sony DSC-F828. It's about 800 bucks, but for under a grand, it's 8 Megapixel performance is pretty damn good. It has awesome Zeiss glass in it's lens, and aside from some crappy aperture design, and moderate shutter lag, it can do some really awesome stuff.

Of course, I'd use my D70 anyday (For 1200 bucks I better use it!)

forums are good huh :)

Artemis- even though i am a fan of canon, the D70 is essentially a beter camera than the digi rebel- and i would suggest the D70,

If you want 6+MP- DSLR will produce better pictures, but if you decide not go dslr, have a look at the fuji S7000, diamge A1/A1 and the nikon coolpix 8700 (or is it the 5700? pretty sure its the 8 :) )

20D :) I got mine for under £900 with the EFS lens.. U just have to look around a bit.

sorry just noticed that it was $1000 not £1000. Ignore the last post and i'd say look at what the americans amongst us call the digital Rebel or as I know it the 300D

Most reactions

Back