Simple Home Studio Questions

scorpion_tyr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
lawrenceburnsphotography.yolasite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm setting up a very simple and cheap home studio. I already have a frame that's 5 feet wide and 7 feet tall. I plan on doing just simple head and body shots, maybe some maternity and newborn shots as well.

I know some fabric and materials are better for backdrops? What's a good choice that's not too hard on the budget?

I know I'm going to get one black backdrop, and maybe one or two more. Are there any basic colors or anything that would be good for general studio photography?

What are some simple and cheap lighting options? I'm not looking for anything fancy at all.

Thanks!

I was talking about what I was planning on getting for a cheap studio setup to my dad, and he had the suggestion to go to Gap or some other downtown clothing store and ask for the huuuuge posters they have and use those instead of buying seamless white. I haven't gotten around to it, but I'll let you know how it goes when I do. They are definitely big enough, my only worry is the design on the front showing through when strobes fire...

As far as colour goes, it seems like everybody suggests getting either white or a neutral grey to start, but eventually have black, white, grey, and anything else. The grey makes the most sense to me while starting though so you have the ability to make your background any colour you want.

A 107" wide by 12 yard long (8.9 ft x 36 ft.) roll of Thunder Gray seamless paper is $39.99 at B&H:

Savage | 107" x 12yds Background Paper | 27-12 | B&H Photo

As always, you get what you pay for.

Continuous lights can be simple trouble lights with a reflector you buy at the hardware store for $12 each without a bulb.

However, they are hot for the subject to sit under for very long, get hot enough to burn skin if touched, and don't easily allow one of the most usable techniques of strobed light photography.

Last edited:
Continuous lights can be simple trouble lights with a reflector you buy at the hardware store for $12 each without a bulb.

However, they are hot for the subject to sit under for very long, get hot enough to burn skin if touched, and don't easily allow one of the most usable techniques of strobed light photography.
One thing you're overlooking is using daylight balanced CFL's in those reflectors. The newest lamps seem to do a much better job of color rendering without having the odd color casts that the first generation were prone to. So far I've been pleased with the results I've gotten using CFL's. YMMV.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back