Simple portrait for some C&C.

jcskeeter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jamescordell.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some C&C on the lighting in this one. The model is me, so posing and expression are what they are. haha!

Setup
-2X apollo softboxes w/ Nikon SB-800's (both aimed at 45º in front of me)
-1 Canon 580 EXII (hair-light)
-PW Flex TT5's running manual
-Used hot lights for BG (lightened and CC'd in PS)
-Nikon D80 w/ 70-200 2.8 @ 7.1, 1/160th
-Mild post work. (BG, eyes, cleanup)

*Ignore the crop if you don't mind. Didn't really care what it was.

JC Test-01 by jcskeeter313, on Flickr

*SOC Image

JC Test-01 SOC by jcskeeter313, on Flickr

Nice pics, to pic them apart maybe set one light a little hotter than the other or move one further from you? Lighting on face appears flat and a shadow stripe down the middle of you. But thats just a nit-pic comment from a nooB/student just to be commenting-

^lol.

I think I like the original better, probaby because the background is less sterile and warm. I agree with what 2-wheel stated, light is flat.

The shadows are confusing me (not difficult to do); where physically is the hairlight located?

I see what your saying 2wheel. I will try to offset the lights a little. I tried even lighting cause I didn't want it to be too one sided. But a little shift would probably help create some depth.

Trever, The the photo that I take with the actual subject will probably be layered over or into something else so that's why I was trying the white-out BG. But yeah, now that I look at it, the BG does work as a nice warm BG. It was actually a white sheet. I was using 5600K studio hot-lights to blow it out and it ended up like that. Knew it wouldn't match and that I could change it in post as long as it was nice and flat. So if the lighting is flat, which I agree it is. Does it still work? Even though it's maybe not the most flattering?

tirediron, I was a little confused too. That's why I wanted some opinions on it. The hair-light was just above my head. It was just the bare flash. I can see it lighting the tops of my shoulders and a little on the hair. (Not as much as I wanted I guess.) I'm not sure if I like how it is or not? Do you think it works as is or would you change it somehow?

(*I always forget to take a shot of the setup. Doh!)

I think the first one is great, the second not so much.

I'm not a fan of the background, I generally dislike solid backdrops unless it'y high/low key.

What about a circular gradient behind you instead? Plus that color is not an exact match to your skin tone, but it's in the realm which is boring (the combo, not your skin tone).

Thanks!

The second one is just SOC for reference if anyone wanted to see it. I do agree that it's not great as is though. Definitely blah :/

I was going for more of a C&C on the lighting. ;) Have any thoughts on that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back