Simulating exposure - a good tool for beginners and those new to DSLRs

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a handy and quite advanced little simulator that lets you recreate shooting a scene with a range of settings, lighting conditions, focal lengths and also modes commonly found on your general DSLR.
A great tool to get an idea of how settings and lighting can affect a shot without needing to own a DSLR or without introducing your own errors into the picture to confuse what you get if you try it at home.

SLR Camera Simulator | Simulates a digital SLR camera

Very Very Cool. Thanks for posting,

This is a handy and quite advanced little simulator that lets you recreate shooting a scene with a range of settings, lighting conditions, focal lengths and also modes commonly found on your general DSLR.
A great tool to get an idea of how settings and lighting can affect a shot without needing to own a DSLR or without introducing your own errors into the picture to confuse what you get if you try it at home.

SLR Camera Simulator | Simulates a digital SLR camera

Book marked!

Very helpful! Thanks!

:thumbup:What a great tool for exploring the interaction of shutter speed, lens aperture, ISO, lens focal length, subject distance, not only on the exposure, but on the DOF (depth-of-field) too.

Last edited:
Thanks man.. I finally know how to shoot with manual :lol:

Wow, I really feel today is one of those turning points in my photog endeavors... everything just seemed to come together today.

You read about this stuff all the time, but sometimes it takes awhile to sink in. Maybe you aren't ready to learn the material yet... maybe you have too many other things on your mind... maybe your kid is screaming in the other room and you get distracted. But at some point it has to hit you. As long as you keep going back.

I've "learned" the traditional stop values a couple times over, but I always forgot them. I've also read that you can multiply by approx 1.4 to get the approx next stop. It still didn't stick. But TODAY when I did an exercise to troubshoot my camera... I was forced to use them (not the aperture values in between)... and for some reason it stuck. And why? Because just before that... I had read some posts related to another question that a couple of people were kind enough to offer the extra information. This is the thread, in case you are interested. Information I had probably read before but it never made sense until today.

So today, I revisted aperture stop values, flash stop values, shutter speed and iso stop values and I remember them/the math behind it! And then... to top it off... here comes this thread with a link to put all my new knowledge to practice.... crazy day, I tell ya.

:blush2: Sorry for the newb rant, btw. Thanks for the link <-- that's all I meant to say! :peacesign:

Hey, Jands, did you get your aperture **** figured out? I'm interested.

This is neat -- Thank you!

Hey, Jands, did you get your aperture **** figured out? I'm interested.

Nah. I haven't had any more nibbles on my thread. I'll have to wait until we move back to the US and take it in, I guess.

Most reactions

Back