Singer used my photo for her business card....

It's the photographer's job to respect sense of ownership of self, while also protecting what is rightfully theirs. This is the difference between a photographer I'd hire and one who belongs to the PPA.

But it's a good businessman's job to know when to give the potential large customer a break on a small purchase so they come back for more. You nickel and dime someone for everything they find someone else.

Protecting a copyright doesn't need to involve collecting fees. That certainly helps keep the expectations crystal clear, even if it'd be something ridiculous like $5, but it's hardly necessary.

Well have a nice long chat with her, hurt her feelings and make her uncomfortable with the thought of using your images again because she won't want to hurt your feelings.

Or just chalk it up to one if those things, write it off and hope she will remember you if she does get rich and famous.

But I'm just saying that option a is not likely to turn out well for either of you and most likely won't work the way you want it too no matter how you approach it.

With that I'll just wish you luck.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Well our actual agreement to date would be that she credits me. Either with my watermark, or verbally (on social media), and the card has neither.
Just a thought, did she post this publicly on your profile, or via a private message? If publicly, she technically provided you credit via social media.

This was on my profile.. and yes, but not on the card itself, where she will be handing them out in person. Unless she plans to vocally tell them Daryll Morgan took the picture every time she hands out a card.
Than there is a problem with your agreement. Because, she posted a photo of your business card crediting the photo to you. If you don't think that's credit, and decide to take it a step further, than it'll be your word against her's based on whether or not she verbally told someone that you took the photo. This can get very hairy very fast.

The best advice so far:
But it's a good businessman's job to know when to give the potential large customer a break on a small purchase so they come back for more. You nickel and dime someone for everything they find someone else.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. But I appreciate your feedback.
Hey, no problem. Glad I could provide a different perspective to the situation.

If you do end up talking with her, good luck and let us know how it goes.

The 'hook' for a copyright/usage conversation with her is right there on her business card - Songwriter
If she doesn't already know about and think about copyright relative to songs she writes, at some point she will likely want to know about copyright.

KmH said:
The 'hook' for a copyright/usage conversation with her is right there on her business card - Songwriter
If she doesn't already know about and think about copyright relative to songs she writes, at some point she will likely want to know about copyright.

Yeah...maybe when you discuss this with her, you ask her if it'd be okay if you ripped one of her for-sale CD's to MP3, then burn it to cheap 19-cent CD discs from Fry's, with the intention of giving away hundreds and hundreds of copies of it to random people, because, you know, it's just such a great CD of songs, and you really think the singer is talented.

Maybe a lightbulb will flip on?

Thanks for the advice and feedback, everyone. I truly do appreciate it.

I spoke with her about it, and we're cool. She understands. She assured me that I'm still her go-to photographer, and that she will be sure to ask me in the future when she wants to use my photos. Hopefully she isn't upset or affronted by this whole thing. She didn't seem like it, but there's no way to tell for now, I suppose.

She's a great girl, she just doesn't think about the business side of things. It's all about the music for her. Which is fine, but I agree that image is everything.

Thanks for the advice and feedback, everyone. I truly do appreciate it.

I spoke with her about it, and we're cool. She understands. She assured me that I'm still her go-to photographer, and that she will be sure to ask me in the future when she wants to use my photos. Hopefully she isn't upset or affronted by this whole thing. She didn't seem like it, but there's no way to tell for now, I suppose.

She's a great girl, she just doesn't think about the business side of things. It's all about the music for her. Which is fine, but I agree that image is everything.

Guess the only question left is how does your mechanic feel about all of this?

have a nice long chat with her, hurt her feelings and make her uncomfortable

Part of me wonders how much of this debate, at least with the guys, reflects our respective rapport with the opposite gender.

Part of me wonders how much of this debate, at least with the guys, reflects our respective rapport with the opposite gender.
Yep................ Neanderthal that I am, even "I" was waiting for Lenny to let 'em have it! :boogie:

Quite a bit I would imagine. Father of 3 daughters. Been down that road too many times to count.

I'm confused.

I'd say something along the lines of:

"Really glad that you love the image and the business card looks great with it. Could you let me know if there is any interest from the media on the image?"

I think anything formal with her is going to be a real mood killer. Use the situation to suggest a paid for PR shoot, then treat this as a promotional freebie.

Be very formal with secondary users of the image...

I'd say something along the lines of:

"Really glad that you love the image and the business card looks great with it. Could you let me know if there is any interest from the media on the image?"

I think anything formal with her is going to be a real mood killer. Use the situation to suggest a paid for PR shoot, then treat this as a promotional freebie.

Be very formal with secondary users of the image...

You're a little late to the party, friend, but thank you.

Most reactions

Back