Sister-In-Law Prom C&C

bkristopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bkristopher.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just starting to get back into photography and these are my first pictures from a new D90 with 18-105mm kit lens. The day was overcast and I was handheld with about 8 other parents. It was pretty much a free for all and most of my pics had prom goers looking in all different directions. I was likely between aperture and shutter priority modes and focusing manually. Not sure I did such a great job with my focus. I am still getting acclimated.

Some of the better shots. I am interested in your thoughts.

prom1.jpg

prom2.jpg

prom3.jpg

prom4.jpg

prom5.jpg

Are kids really wearing jean shorts to prom these days?

Oh, you probably want some crituqe huh?

1. Seems to be lacking some contrast. Colors are really soft. I don't like the hands in the pockets either.

2. Would have like to see a shallower DOF, though a nice shot... Again, hands in the pockets. She's all nice and close, cuddling up... and he's got his hands in his pockets. That distracts me.

3. B&W is a poor choice for this shot. There is too much variance in contrast... you completely lose the subject in this picture. It took me a few seconds to realze that people were actually hidden in there.

4. Nice shot, would have like to have all of the legs in the shot. Also not a fan of the B&W here either... the subjects get lost.\

5. Very "snop shotty". The cars and the extra people in the background take away from the shot considerably

lol, looks like they are taking a picture with the seniors. Its probably her syster or familly.

we are in 2010, senoirs wear 1000s $ dresses hand rent limo for proms! :p

3. B&W is a poor choice for this shot. There is too much variance in contrast... you completely lose the subject in this picture. It took me a few seconds to realze that people were actually hidden in there.

Thanks for the C&C. Here is another treatment I provided to her.

prom6.jpg

lol, looks like they are taking a picture with the seniors. Its probably her syster or familly.

Correct. The sisters.

Lol, the kid looks way too young to be a senior anyways :)

I think you need to take them all in color or what is the point of having the beautiful dresses in all sorts of color? :)

i love the bridge in B&W

I love #2. I think this is the best as far as composition out of your set... the others are not really directed towards you because they're looking at another photographer... ( as you stated being free for all and what not.) But all-in-all, very cute shots. Im sure they will like them :)

Only criticism I really have is that I don't particularly think any of them needed to be in B&W. Otherwise, they look nice. : )

A few of you have stated that the photos "did not need to be b&w". If I convert to b&w it's becuase I want to see it as another option. Can anyone explain their mindset as to why or when a photo warrants b&w conversion?

A few of you have stated that the photos "did not need to be b&w". If I convert to b&w it's becuase I want to see it as another option. Can anyone explain their mindset as to why or when a photo warrants b&w conversion?
Then you can convert it to B&W, but if it doesn't look good, then convert it back.

Nothing really "warrants" it imo, just... Whatever looks better.
These? They're bright and happy and while I know B&W can look bright 'n happy, Prom just... isn't really B&W.

Saturate them trees, bro! The dresses are all colourful and the trees just look dull.

You know what to do.

Most reactions

Back