Sister wants me to shoot her wedding (someone talk me out of this)

I'm making assumptions based on the bits and pieces I've heard so I may not have everything straight.

I think I will take my chances with the Sigma. I looks like I can always send it in for calibration if it isn't right. Just need to talk my wife into letting me get it.

Don't talk just buy it, who wears the pants in your house :lol:

Curious-

Feel any pressure? Can you look her in the eye in the years forward if you happen to %$#$ her special day up?

icongoodoreveil.gif

It won't matter she will be in Alaska freezing her bits off

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I found out more about the whole catering thing and the situation is vastly more complicated than I thought and my parents pretty much have no real choice in the matter. As I understand it they weren't planning on spending much more than the catering by itself is costing.

Now, that being said, it looks like I'm going to do it after all. I have tried to convince them to hire a professional but they just can't afford it. It was either me or a craigslist photographer. They have been given plenty of warning that I don't know what I'm doing and not to expect professional results.

Now, I'm going to be researching/planning the hell out of this for the next few weeks and any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I just ordered the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 for their engagement portraits I'm planning on doing this weekend but I'm still undecided on the lighting setup. I may go natural lighting for this weekend given the limited time I have left.

I'm an engineer by trade and do a fair bit of project management so I plan to have as much of this scripted as possible. I'm also trying to find a cheap second shooter to help out but the person I had in mind is unavailable.

Wouldn't do it if I were you. Things like that only make matters worse. Nothing against you but your job that day is to support your sister. Me personally I enjoy sports. I'd never shoot college football because I'm too much of a fan. I can't let my personal judgement get in the way. Sorry uncle bob was left out of that photo! Catch my drift!

I shot my soon to be brother-n-law's wedding about eight years ago on film. First they asked me and I turned them down. I explained that their photos were important and they will really want to hire a professional. After many days of begging I agreed.

I did not enjoy the ceremony or reception and to say I was nervous was an understatement. Trust me, you will make stupid mistakes like wrong ISO, shutter or aperture easily in that state of mind.

My freakout point happened while standing in the entrance right before the rehearsal on the night before when the priest asked who was the second reader and they looked at me. WHAT?? They had forgot to inform me that I was in the ceremony that I was shooting. Double check with your sister on this.

I shot with three bodies. One on the balcony with a remote trigger zoomed in on the altar area. Other two on me with a borrowed a flash bracket. I just handed them the rolls at the end of the ceremony.

Results were okay but far from my best. They got what they paid for.

There is a reason surgeons are HIGHLY discouraged from performing surgery on their direct family. There is are reason Attorneys are discouraged from representing either themselves or direct family in major cases.

Same with photography. Regardless of what they tell you...these pictures will be around forever. And the fact that they are being 'forced' to spend 7K on food, but want the pictures for free speaks volume. Why doesn't the Caterer have to give it away? Why does the photog get screwed?

I'd say forget it. Much easier to have them pissed off now, rather than pissed off for the next 20 years of something happens either in your control or beyond your control.

Good luck. Sounds like a mess.

I think I'm screwed no matter what I do. If I don't do it, they'll hire a cheap photog, won't be satisfied with the results and blame me because they'll think I would have done a better job. And everytime I post a good picture online, it will remind them of what their pictures could have been. And if I do it and it turns out bad, they'll wonder why my other pictures turn out so good and the ones I did for them didn't.

I think I'm screwed no matter what I do. If I don't do it, they'll hire a cheap photog, won't be satisfied with the results and blame me because they'll think I would have done a better job. And everytime I post a good picture online, it will remind them of what their pictures could have been. And if I do it and it turns out bad, they'll wonder why my other pictures turn out so good and the ones I did for them didn't.

Do you have a flickr or something that we could check your photos from?

What are some of the specifics for the wedding? day/night? inside/outside? How many people? Give us a full listing of your gear as well. Flash and a reflector would be handy too. I would have told you to get the flash first instead of the sigma 50. Really both are useful but the flash would be more useful for fill even during the day outside.

This is when you remind them (her) that if she/they hadn't blown $7,000 on food they could have hired a quality photog. Don't let this debacle fall on your shoulders. She's your sister, not your boss.

Of course it's much easier for us on the board to make suggestions, and have you implement them. But I wouldn't stand idly by while they totally put you in an untenable situation, because they made personal choices that result in them needing to skimp on everything else.

I agree, enjoy that day and let someone else worry about all that business of photographs.

I shot my ex wife wedding and i regret it, I didn't get to enjoy seeing her getting married to someone else :lmao::lmao:

Do you have a flickr or something that we could check your photos from?

What are some of the specifics for the wedding? day/night? inside/outside? How many people? Give us a full listing of your gear as well. Flash and a reflector would be handy too. I would have told you to get the flash first instead of the sigma 50. Really both are useful but the flash would be more useful for fill even during the day outside.

This first set contains some of the maternity pictures I took of my wife a few days after I got my 60D with the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens (this is my first DSLR by the way)
Maternitiy Pictures - Lucas - a set on Flickr

This second set contains some pictures of my son at about 3 months. The backdrop is a blanket thrown over a couch and the lighting was a set of Craftsman work lights that I had pointed up at a 45 degree angle at the opposite wall/ceiling. (I REALLY need to get a real lighting setup so any suggestions here would be really appreciated). Lens was the Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro
Lucas - January 2012 - a set on Flickr

My equipment currently consists of a 60D, kit lens, Canon 28mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8L macro, and as of yesterday, a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (with a front focus issue :(). I also have access to a nice Gitzo tripod with a Manfrotto geared head I can borrow from work. I also have a camera case that can hold one body w/lens attached plus maybe two or three other lenses.

The wedding is at 3:30pm, April 28th, inside a church. I'm not sure how many guests will be there but the grooms side alone has over 300 people being invited (hence the large catering bill) and I'm told that most of them will likely show.

I'm planning on getting the flash, I just needed the lens now for their engagement photos I'm doing this weekend (I'll be sure to post some of them).

You guys have any suggestions for the front focusing Sigma (noticeable all the way up to f/2.2)? I don't have time to return it and try my luck again before this weekend (bought from Amazon). I'm planning on using it anyway. If for some reason I have to shoot that wide I'm going to focus manually with help from live view.

My equipment currently consists of a 60D, kit lens, Canon 28mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8L macro, and as of yesterday, a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (with a front focus issue :(). I also have access to a nice Gitzo tripod with a Manfrotto geared head I can borrow from work. I also have a camera case that can hold one body w/lens attached plus maybe two or three other lenses.

The wedding is at 3:30pm, April 28th, inside a church. I'm not sure how many guests will be there but the grooms side alone has over 300 people being invited (hence the large catering bill) and I'm told that most of them will likely show.

I'm planning on getting the flash, I just needed the lens now for their engagement photos I'm doing this weekend (I'll be sure to post some of them).

You have sufficient gear. A 70-200 f2.8 zoom would be handy for the ceremony. Check some prices and see if you can get them to rent you one. But the 28, 50 and 100mm lens will get the job done. I would say stick with 2.8 as a max aperture that way no matter which lens you use the dof would be similar. Usually f4 will produce a good sharpness for shooting a couple but dont be afraid to open up to f2.8 but you have to be careful on the focus and not miss it. I would say practice with the flash as much as possible. Chase people around using it in any situation you can find and practice the bouncing.

My thinking is, given that you are going to have to do it no matter what, or whatever you say, to be as prepared as possible. But you already know that. So working down the risk list...

a) Beg, borrow or rent a second compatible body. We're talking camera body here, although photographer body is probably not a bad idea either.
b) All batteries are programmed to die just when you need them. Have seconds and thirds of all batteries you need. Charged. And bring the chargers.
c) If that church has windows, you can bet that the darkest cloud in the past twenty years will park itself over the church during the ceremony. So... you'll need flash. You have that. but you may also need to work with whaever ambient light they have, and tha may mean you should thinks of color gels for the flash to get the same white-balance.
d) Since flash is important, you can expect it to fail. Can you get/rent/borrow another flash?
e) Visit the locations and try to shoot as much as possible in those locations to get a feel for how the light bounces, where the dark sinkholes are (those parts of the room that ALWAYS are dark no matter how much light you shine on them), and where the glare lights are situated (you know, those lights that always seem to shine directly into your lens from vantage points that are key for you to use).
f) Photographer hat. That's the one you put on to let people know you're the OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER, and not just another getting-happy family member.
g) It's family, so "contracts" may or may not apply, but it is probably a good idea to write down what your and their expectations are, and to have them say that they agree. At least, later, when the inevitable arguements about who was supposed to do what happen, you've got something to back up your version of events.

Oh, and find a four-leaf clover. I heard that they are supposed to be good luck.

My thinking is, given that you are going to have to do it no matter what, or whatever you say, to be as prepared as possible. But you already know that. So working down the risk list...

a) Beg, borrow or rent a second compatible body. We're talking camera body here, although photographer body is probably not a bad idea either.
b) All batteries are programmed to die just when you need them. Have seconds and thirds of all batteries you need. Charged. And bring the chargers.
c) If that church has windows, you can bet that the darkest cloud in the past twenty years will park itself over the church during the ceremony. So... you'll need flash. You have that. but you may also need to work with whaever ambient light they have, and tha may mean you should thinks of color gels for the flash to get the same white-balance.
d) Since flash is important, you can expect it to fail. Can you get/rent/borrow another flash?
e) Visit the locations and try to shoot as much as possible in those locations to get a feel for how the light bounces, where the dark sinkholes are (those parts of the room that ALWAYS are dark no matter how much light you shine on them), and where the glare lights are situated (you know, those lights that always seem to shine directly into your lens from vantage points that are key for you to use).
f) Photographer hat. That's the one you put on to let people know you're the OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER, and not just another getting-happy family member.
g) It's family, so "contracts" may or may not apply, but it is probably a good idea to write down what your and their expectations are, and to have them say that they agree. At least, later, when the inevitable arguements about who was supposed to do what happen, you've got something to back up your version of events.

Oh, and find a four-leaf clover. I heard that they are supposed to be good luck.

I'm planning on renting a second body(and extra batteries) at the same time I rent a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. The question is do I rent another 60D since that is what I'm familiar with or do I pay more and get a 5DII? I'm trying to line up a second shooter.

I actually don't have a flash at the moment (other than the popup) but I'm planning on buying at least one and possibly renting others (need advice here). I'd like to get a portable setup that could be put up with with relative ease both indoors and out (meaning lightweight, minimal cording, and no external power). I'm thinking maybe couple of cheap manual speedlites, stands/adaptors, and umbrellas with a nicer speedlite that can serve as the master.

I was planning on visiting the location tomorrow but I think that has fallen through. I'll go next week.

I guess I'm just a little confused on saying "no". Is that really going to break apart a family? Should you be faulted for their poor planning? I know every family has their own dynamics so I'm only inputting my opinion and what I'm reading here. On top of that, you're going to be the only one with knots in the stomach over the fear of doing a good job while every other family member gets to soak in the moment. You're making concessions, renting equipment when you really don't want to do it. Or maybe deep down you do. Either way, I wish you luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back