sizing and printin

maria_abraxar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all
I’m fairly new to photography but have been practicing hard and would like to get some of my images printed and mounted so that I can try and sell some to local galleries. I'm using a Canon 5D

As I have never done this before can anyone help with any of the following...

Is it ok to resize my .tiff files (converted from RAW) in CS2 by simply resizing upwards (constraining proportions)? My images are opening up at about 14 x 9 ins), and I'm hoping to print at about 12 x 16 ins. The resolution is 300 ppi so I figure that it could handle the enlargement. Am I right or is there a better way to do this? I have Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 book but he only talks about resizing for poster sized prints, I'm guessing that the principle is the same?

When getting images professionally printed;
Is it best to stick to standard sizes i.e. 10 x 8 or should I crop to suit the image and then mount accordingly?

Do I need to crop generously to allow for mount, how much would you recommend?

Is matt paper more popular than glossy?

To begin with is it better to buy ready made frames and just use the mount supplied, or is this really a bad idea. Should I be thinking about paying out for someone to mount and frame the images to have them look their best?

Finally if havin the printing done professionally is it better to stick with standard size images eg 10 x8 / 12/16 etc or just crop to suit the image and let the framer worry about the sizing?

Any other advice re printing/ framing / selling/ galleries etc very much appreciated.

Many many thanks for help with any of these questions.
Maria

realize that although 8x10 is a standard size it is not a ratio that a photo enlarges to. I believe most DSLRs shoot in a ratio of 1:1.5 so your photos without cropping will enlarge to sizes such as 12x 18 10x15 8x12 etc. I would say enlarge your photos to the size they enlarge to and get them custom framed. Personally I do all my own framingg and save a bunch. Frames cost me about 8-15 dollars to make depending on the wood I choose. If you have the tools, i.e a mitre saw, table saw, planer or sander, and a corner clamp try doing them yourself, It will also increase the value of the overall framed print because the frame is custom made to fit the picture. I love the look of a nice wood grain framing a photo. If you want black you can buy an inexpensive wood and paont it black, be sure to prime it though so the grain doesn't come through. You can also put a polyurethane on the wood and paint black over that, although that may sound off the polyurethane will not let the wood grain come through the black paint.

thanks guys, much appreciated.
Although I don't think the "build your own frame" option is quite for me just yet...... you're talking to someone who took 90 mins trying to put a bracket on the wall for a hanging basket - finally giving up having made several, all completely useless small craters on the front of our Georgian House!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of person that believes that women can't do stuff with tools - just that speaking from extensive experience - this woman can't!

I think that when I have a bit more time I'll go to a class and learn how to do it properly.
Maria

maria_abraxar said:
... Is it ok to resize my .tiff files (converted from RAW) in CS2 by simply resizing upwards (constraining proportions)...

Not sure if this will help at all but in CS2 when you select the crop tool you can specify ratio at the top (I've used PS for years and somehow managed to miss this). This might be stating the obvious for some but if you haven't noticed it, it's a lifesaver for cropping to fit frames.

since we're talking about printing, i thought id toss my question in here instead of starting a new thread.

can a standard inkjet printer print photos or do I need a specialized photo printer? if it helps, I have a Lexmark X75.

gundy74 said:
can a standard inkjet printer print photos or do I need a specialized photo printer? if it helps, I have a Lexmark X75.

You can print a photo with any printer. The question will be what kind of quality you want. 4-color office printers (I think the X75 is one) can do an so-so job, but the six color photo printers can look like lab prints or better.

If you are going to be printing a lot of b&w prints, you'll probably want to find a printer that has at least one grey in it's inkset. These will usually be 7 or 8-color printers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back