Sizing Help

kbphotography2011

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I am a new photographer and taking classes in college for photography but we haven't quite gotten to sizing yet. Now, my client wants to get some images printed at 8x10 or 11x14 size but it crops off part of the picture. I know that it is going to crop off part of the picture, but if there anyway to size it so it doesn't crop off some of the picture because it is cropping the people out if they are to close to the edge. Just wondering if there is a special sizing way to fix this without having to print to scale with the boarder around the edge. Thanks!

There are some simple rules in photography that can make life easy if you just learn and understand them.

1. If was easy, everyone would be doing it.
2. It ain't cheap, no matter what someone told you.
3. Just because you have an f1.2 lens doesn't mean you have to shoot at f1.2
4. If you don't want to print at a 3:2 aspect ratio then don't completly fill the viewfinder with your subject. That means, leave a little room around the subject for cropping. Problem solved.

The 'term of art' for #4 is 'shooting fat'.

All 135 format (35 mm) photo media (film/digtal) have a 3:2 aspect ratio image frame shape.

8x10 is 5:4 aspect ratio and is close to being a square.
Wallets and 5x7 are 7:5 aspect ratio and falls between 3:2 and 5:4.

11x14 is an oddball, non-even aspect ratio.

AspectRatioChartv2-1.png

Note that in the illustrations below, the height of the horizontal format is pretty close to the same height as the 5:4 aspect ratio height in the vertical format. So, one can first frames a vertical shot using the horizontal framing to adjust the subject distance from a prime lens, or can be used to set the appropriate zoom lens focal length.

ViewfinderAspectRatiocopy.png

VerticalViewfinder.png

Because I want to please different people with prints, I've learned to shoot 'wide' and crop from there, keeping the cropped image with the size added to the title (abcd001-4x6, abcd001-5x7, etc) 'undo'ing the crop after I save it.

I used to put up with the printer and printing software making its own decisions on how and where to crop, and found myself manually cropping and re-printing until I got what I wanted. Then I finally upgraded my antique version of Photoshop to Photoshop Elements 10 this past March. It has pre-defined crop sizes available with a single click. What a life saver!

Most reactions

Back