Skateboard promo shot with a hot babe

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took my board to the shoot so she could use it as a prop. I ended up liking these so much I called my friend who works at Val Surf Skate Shop (who actually sold me the board) to see about hanging up a poster of one of the shots. I stuck the val surf logo in one of the corners and the owner likes it :)

I used a 430ex off to camera right on a light stand zoomed in all the way pointed down a little at her. Direct light, no umbrellas or diffusion stuff. All comments and critique welcome and appreciated

20070824_8630.jpg

20070824_8629.jpg

20070824_8590.jpg

20070824_8553.jpg

I really like these, they would work perfect for a skateboard promo. The idea of using your strobe off camera was brilliant, and people here should take notes about using it.

nice, but the skin appears blown out to me. and somehow they appear not very sharp, maybe a resizing effect...

Thanks guys.

The skin is blown out on purpose. I used the "Direct Positive" preset in light room and then adjusted it to meet my needs a bit. I was going for the hot highlight higher contrast look edgier look. Probably just resizing, they look fine 100% in photoshop.

I really like the composition and poses of the first two although they seem a little blown out but the poses an the others leave alot to be desired.

Like these too. The bright parts don't bother me as with some other cases where the skin actually changes colour right before it blows. It looks very natural and I think you captured it very well.

Just wondering about the timing w.r.t the sunlight. Your other photos from this day were obviously sun lit. Was this done after the sun has set / in the shade, and then using the flash as the key light?

I don't know about the 430ex, but my SB-600 can almost block out the sun when it's within 5 feet of the subject, and knock down the ambient exposure quite a bit out to 10.

The sun was setting behind the dam so it created a large area of shade that we did these pics in. It was still extremely sunny out tho, even in the shade. I had my flash pretty high up and just tried to get rid of as much ambiance as possible. So yeah flash = key and just ambient as fill

Nice... great job on these. And how exciting to have it in the shop! YAY!

Cheers :) It was the blue background that was slightly confusing. Looks like shade, yet looks nothing like the photos in the other thread.

AJ the 430EX should also be able to overpower the sun if you can get the shutter speed up a bit. I know the SB-800 is great for cross processing. Can easily make the sun look like a fill light.

her shadow in the last two throws me off a bit, but i still they there are all very nice. i love how you have her placed. and just to say congrats on getting it out in the mainstream. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back