Skateboarding.

CouncilmanDoug

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just recently tore my ACL and injured my meniscus and will have to get surgery, so instead of skateboarding I'm gonna start taking a bunch ofskateboarding pictures. Just took these today of some friends, all using a 135mm 2.8

DSC_0112 by Henryfradley, on Flickr

DSC_0153 by Henryfradley, on Flickr

DSC_0047 by Henryfradley, on Flickr

any critique or comments would be awesome, trying to get away from the standard fisheye shots everyone does by going telephoto.

What I notice about all three of these is that you have just missed the light; in each case there seems to be excellent ambient light, but the skater isn`t in it. Are you trying to capture these as PJ style shots (ie, shoot whatever occurs) or are you trying to to make great skateboard images

Well I'd like to get them as best as I can, it's hard positioning them right where the lights the best when I'm also trying to get the best part of the trick. I don't really feel comfortable using flash here because of how crowded it is most of the time, it'd be a miracle if it didn't get knocked down, and theres some sketchy people that hang out there.
How would you suggest making them better?

The best way would be to use a VAL* with a remote speedlight and medium SB; that way you could put the light exactly where it was needed. Failing that, look for the light, do some test shooting and then get one (or more) of the skaters to do their stunts in that area.

*Voice Activated Lightstand

hahaha I was really confused about what a val was for a second, I'll mess around with flash next time I go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back