What's new

Skieur's brutally honest critiques

Let the fun begin!!
6292915528_b825ea4493_z.jpg

Part abstract and part unique view of snow coming into contact with the fall colours. Getting the motion of the snow through a slower shutterspeed is also a different approach for this kind of scene. The tree trunk in the upper right, draws the eye of the viewer which might be considered distracting, but could be used to make it clear what the viewer is looking at. I might consider using brightness and contrast in postprocessing to bring out the colours in this shot, but then you might consider it to be more realistic as it stands. Overall, it is a very effective shot.

skieur
 
I feel like I want a rollicking good ass-kicking with this one...no filter, just major condensation...

MG5945-L.jpg

When photography went to digital and photoshop, one basic rule came over from television production and special effects. All kinds of editing and special effects are possible but the viewer(not the photographer or editor) must be able to look at the image and determine WHY the edit or special effect was used and "for fun or experimentation" does NOT cut it. I don't see an answer to that question here and therefore the edit/cloning does NOT work in that it does not contribute anything to the image.

skieur
 
Oh Soothsayer....I don't recall cloning at all, and the PS was for salvage for severe temperature condensation...it was not fun....Trust me on that.

i-vXMW4w3-L.jpg
 
Oh Soothsayer....I don't recall cloning at all, and the PS was for salvage for severe temperature condensation...it was not fun....Trust me on that.

i-vXMW4w3-L.jpg

You mean there were 4 telephone booths side by side! Well, you certainly got me on that one. I wrongly assumed that there was one and you cloned the extras.;)
Oops! Sorry about that.

skieur
 
Oh Soothsayer....I don't recall cloning at all, and the PS was for salvage for severe temperature condensation...it was not fun....Trust me on that.

i-vXMW4w3-L.jpg

This image elicits a lot of questions. There appears to be fog/mist and low lighting which does not seem to contribute to the photo. Complicating things further the eye of the viewer tends to wander throughout the image looking for a centre of interest. Since the background is in focus, what is relationship between the building and the phone booths? Four booths create a balance visually, so if the booths are the centre of interest then an odd number such as 3 is often used to direct the attention of a viewer. I might be inclined to put a model in one of the booths and use an off camera flash to create a different sort of shot.

skieur
 

Spider shots may be common but the position of the spider hanging from the plant makes this one visually different. Diagonal lines and positioning which are part of artistic composition are used well here with the leg of the spider and the thread of the web. The frond and one of the other legs are creating diagonal lines toward the other side of the image. Colour and sharpness are excellent and depth of field is used well to reduce the background distractions. The problem I see is that the ground cover and the sky? are visually splitting the spider. Some cloning might be done to reduce that.

skieur
 
Oh Soothsayer....I don't recall cloning at all, and the PS was for salvage for severe temperature condensation...it was not fun....Trust me on that.



This image elicits a lot of questions. There appears to be fog/mist and low lighting which does not seem to contribute to the photo. Complicating things further the eye of the viewer tends to wander throughout the image looking for a centre of interest. Since the background is in focus, what is relationship between the building and the phone booths? Four booths create a balance visually, so if the booths are the centre of interest then an odd number such as 3 is often used to direct the attention of a viewer. I might be inclined to put a model in one of the booths and use an off camera flash to create a different sort of shot.

skieur

This was taken in Bermuda at Kings Wharf this summer. The stone buidings in the wharf area are quite old and Bermuda is British, ergo the style of the phone booths, which actually do work. I was not going for bokeh, I wanted to be able to capture all the details. I carry a terrarium pad to temper the air conditioned environment of my cruise ship cabin, and I did not use it. It was extremely hot and humid outside and I was up very early in the morning to take some photos when everyone was still asleep and I was free to roam without people getting in the way. The fog is actually tremendous condensation inside the lens and inside the camera that took about 2 hours to clear, but I opened up the camera and kept blowing the lens and I was soooooo mad at myself, you have no idea. This processed shot was a result of me trying to get some sunrise shots; the second photo is representative of the untouched raw file. Four booths, put there by Bermuda, a bit of sunrise, condensation, and a raw file. The rest is all CS5.

I agree with you it would be an awesome photo op for a model and lighting...I can can see it...gotta get up real early for that though!
 
Last edited:
Dude Over, I know it's Friday but kick back on the gonja!

This is now way more confusing with the multiple threads separated from one.
 
Okay, so are we loading up photos in this thread for skieur to C&C? Or are photos being plucked from Marks and then pasted here?

BTW, the effort of skieur is much appreciated from me.
 
Single thread by Mark where you post the photos (the original thread) - then separate critique threads by Mark, Skieur and anyone who wants to start one. Basically letting each person give the crits without falling over each other in the single thread.

Posts are simply quoted in this thread to show the pics - but the photos themselves are posted in the other thread - so as to keep this purely about the crits
 
When I put my photos up last night it was still Marks title, but at some point yesterday, duing the day I believe, skieur became Mark's alter ego and Mark disappeared. I don't know what it all means.
 
Okay, so are we loading up photos in this thread for skieur to C&C? Or are photos being plucked from Marks and then pasted here?

BTW, the effort of skieur is much appreciated from me.

I heard back from Cloud, but neither Mark or Skieur have CC'ed mine. I think Skieur missed mine and Mark's the slacker of the crew =P
 
Single thread by Mark where you post the photos (the original thread) - then separate critique threads by Mark, Skieur and anyone who wants to start one. Basically letting each person give the crits without falling over each other in the single thread.

Posts are simply quoted in this thread to show the pics - but the photos themselves are posted in the other thread - so as to keep this purely about the crits

Over so we're posting pictures on one thread and having critiques(word based) on the other individual threads?

How will we now if we've gotten CC'ed if the crit will be on multiple different threads? I see four right now, Derrel's, Mark's, Cloud's and Skieur's.
 
Only 2 running threads at present - Cloud has mostly pulled out for the moment, though his thread is still listed. Mark and Skieur;s are running and - well you just check them no different to when it was all in one thread, save that now the they are not falling over each other.
Derrel's thread is mostly the result of posts that didn't fit into either the photo thread nor the crits thread (its only "Derrels" because forum software moves posts chronologically and thus his post trumped mine which started that thread).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom