Sky over the farm

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Loved taking this picture, the sky were amazing, hope I was successful in translating that into an interesting picture

DSC_0118_zps87320e01.jpg

The sky is cool but the farm is lost beneath it. You could probably use a little PS to lighten up the barn and foreground some. I'd also crop some left and right. You lose sky but those trees don't do much.

The sky is cool but the farm is lost beneath it. You could probably use a little PS to lighten up the barn and foreground some. I'd also crop some left and right. You lose sky but those trees don't do much.

I actually tried both things and then deleted these 2 versions.
Let me explain.
I brightened the barn and plants but the contrast between them and the sky was lost and I found the picture to loose its interest.
I also cropped both sides and then compared the 2 versions, again I liked the original better.
Maybe I just have a different taste or lack of experience but I did experiment and found this version more appealing to my taste.

I would love to see your version of the picture, I think I would learn a lot from that.

That's some big sky right there. I agree that it could benefit from some shadow recovery. If you're worried about contrast, you can still do the shadow recovery and then up the contrast a bit.

This is one place where a 2ND soft grad filter would work. I'd say the ground portion is about 2 stops underexposed.

It's nice, I would love to have seen it shot in portrait, less trees and more road and sky.

Portrait orientation is a good idea, but it's not bad in landscape for sure...my suggestion is to check the histogram, it is a bit low on contrast and I think it needs some more exposure.

Ok guys, tried to follow your advice, this this better ?

DSC_0118-1_zpsd27f914a.jpg

My opinion, from a compositional stand point is, it needs more road. As is, it feels kind of chopped off in the foreground and that's where my eye keeps going. I realize its about the sky, but as others have mentioned, the trees left and right don't really do anything for the image. I think if you had shot in portrait orientation and stood further back to include more of the road it would have smoothly led into the image and then the sky would actually have more impact. Just my 2 cents.

Definitely better. Now, for the compositional elements (for future reference, as I'm sure you're not going to run back for a re-shoot and conjure the clouds up again!): You were shooting at eye level, but one of the prominent elements is the road at the center. If you had gotten down lower, the road would have taken up more of the immediate foreground, and the perspective distortion would have been emphasized. Just one of those things to check when you're framing an image - are there prominent lines, and will the image be better if they are closer together (less perspective) or further apart (more perspective distortion)? Would the lines be stronger as diagonals?

Thank you for the input, lots to think of for next time.
Even though its more then an hour of drive from Toronto we get to this farm once or twice a season so if I will not get there this year I will be there next summer and will try the shot again both in portrait and from a lower angle.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me :)

Most of all your photo needs more contrast.

$orchard.jpg

Then it helps to balance the exposure between the sky and foreground -- darken the sky and lighten the foreground. I also made a slight change to the color to adjust the white balance. Nice photo.

Joe

Most of all your photo needs more contrast.

View attachment 51894

Then it helps to balance the exposure between the sky and foreground -- darken the sky and lighten the foreground. I also made a slight change to the color to adjust the white balance. Nice photo.

Joe
Fantastic Joe, small changes but makes the picture look more interesting and dramatic.
Not only I need to improve my composition skills but also improve my knowledge of how to work with my software.

Most reactions

Back